Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Daffodils Before The Storm

There are other flowering bulbs out there. Mostly daffodils of course. Today I saw a nice planting of Hyacinth while at work.



At the rate things are going the resident gardeners may miss the whole show by the time they get here the first week of April. I need to be a good assistant gardener and take pictures for them to see their garden.



And now a storm to be followed by lows in the upper 20's is coming this way. The below freezing cold will be brief. I am not really expecting any damage assuming some major deluge doesn't flatten things to the ground. At least I hope there won't be any petal burn.



The coming cooler weathers could slow things down, but at this point a major freeze would not be good. It's been an odd spring. The daffodils think it's April and the forest trees are still on schedule. The ornamental flowering trees in town are at peak and I haven't seen the first hint of white Serviceberry in the forest, usually one of the first trees to bloom. The understory shrub Spicebush, Lindera benzoin, with its small yellow flowers along the stems are the first sign of spring in the forest and they are just now starting to bloom. It's like there are two different schedules happening at once.



Every spring I have to tell myself just quit worrying and enjoy what is.



Today the daffodils on Bulbhilla are resplendent.



And there will be photographic proof for anyone who misses it.

4 comments:

Jean Campbell said...

Looking good. The storm should be brief; bulbs are tough.

A note on hyacinths: When I have mixed hyacinths, I sort the bulbs by color: dark, pinkish, tan. I plant like colors next to each other.

Lola said...

Beautiful, Christopher. Hope the cold snap doesn't do any damage.
Sure hope the resident gardeners don't miss too much.
Things sure are popping around here.
Water ration already. Twice a week.

Dee @ Red Dirt Ramblings said...

They are all so lovely. I love Bulbapalooza! I've noticed the same thing you mentioned. The trees are all waiting which worries me. Everything else is jumping out of the ground here. A hard freeze would be devastating. Can't worry. Must enjoy.~~Dee

Christopher C. NC said...

Nell Jean I will have to remember that about hyacinth when I next plant some.

Lola I think the resident gardeners will miss the peak of the daffodils. They will get over it quick with the succession of bloom to come.

Dee I wonder if the soil has warmed to the point of pushing the bulbs and some perennials while the trees wait a bit from day length signals. The forest trees anyway. Seems cultivated trees are not waiting. I haven't even seen the wild redbuds yet.