Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Rough Creation

I moved big rocks today. For six hours. I wanted to move rocks before the deluge comes ... and snow maybe, they are covering their bases this time ... and before I get any older, which is imminent.



It is still a work in progress. More big rocks need to be moved. The spirals will continue to the center of the circular space and the tails will grow longer.



Those five rocks in the right foreground need to be moved. They's really big. I'm going to need a big time pry bar or extra muscle to wiggle them a few feet to the left. But after six hours I was done.

The creation is rough for now. I'll watch it and see if I like it or if it needs a completely different train of thought. It's better than the ragged line of rocks in the crease of the sunny utility valley that it had been since all those big rocks rolled down there. I can always build another heiau if need be.



I didn't really feel like an evening stroll. I felt done. The sky had already turned dark ahead of the deluge and anything that may have opened earlier in the sun would have been closed up by now. I thought it best though to go for a stretching walk before sitting down and things potentially seizing up.

The crocus are still pretty even when they are closed.



More daffodils keep rising from the forest floor.



The hellebores are blooming.



It's supposed to rain all day tomorrow. I can rest. I can slowly clean house before company arrives. I can move more big rocks sometime in the future.

9 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Ok, you drove me to my dictionary and the word "heiau" is not in it. You are gonna make me google a word. What ever you are up to, no matter how you spell it, I like what I am seeing. Just don't put your back out. There is a lot of spring coming to keep you busy.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa by now you have googled heiau and found out it is a stone platform used for religious and ritual ceremony in Hawaiian culture. I've done those already. This I want to be reminiscent of the Nazca Lines.

Siria said...

I like it! I believe it is in the second picture where you can see a rock wall in the foreground, so is this rock formation basically down below your patio and to the right?

Christopher C. NC said...

Yes Siria that is where it is. It will be viewed from above and very much so from inside the cabin, at least when it isn't buried in the lush. Do I want to gravel around it? Mow it regular? Time will tell.

Lola said...

I like it. I think it's nice that you can observe it from the cabin. That will be an inspiration in quiet solitude of observance with cup of coffee in early morning contemplating the days duties.

chuck b. said...

MMMMM!!!

Siria said...

I can't remember the name of the place, but I think it was near Canton where you could pick up a truckload of gravel (in the back of your pick-up) for not much money. I'll try to find the name and send it your way.

Layanee said...

You are such an artiste! Love them...the spirals.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

These lines will be marvelous. Once again I am envious of your natural supply of stones.