Thursday, August 15, 2013

A Plethora

It is Bloom Day again, hosted as usual by our founder, Miss Carol at May Dreams Gardens. Go visit for Bloom Day posts from around the world.

There is a lot blooming on the mountain top in mid-August. So much and so many pictures, the Blogger was being cranky about loading them. I thought my Bloom Day post would be delayed. Finally by doing the pictures one at a time I got through.

Here is a sample of what is blooming. We have Boneset





















Rudbeckia





















A shorter New England Aster with strangely unopened petals on a rare sunny day.





















More different kind Rudbeckia and Shasta Daisy



























Feather Reed Grass. I must divide it come spring to make more.





















The ironweed has arrived.





















Uncle Ernie with the vegetable flower weeds.





















Echinacea. I am noticing many subtle variations in petal color and form



























A remnant daylily.



























Miscanthus before the bloom and Joe Pye.





















Joe Pye up close with its cousin Boneset in the back ground.



























The hard to photograph Clematis stans.





















An Oenothera.





















All together in the tall flower meadow. Late summer is really the best time in the meadow and there is plenty more to come.The Goldenrods are just getting started. Asters galore will follow.





















Tall phlox.






















A late patch of Beebalm.





















A finally an unknown that is near impossible to photograph. Those skinny spikes have tiny white flowers that stand out in the shade of the forest like bright lights. For such tiny things the impact is intense. It just won't show up in a picture. You'll have to trust me on how interesting this unknown wild flower is.





















And that's it for August Bloom Day.

5 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

You do have a plethora of blooms. I envy you your iron weed. I have tried to get that going several times without luck. I love the rich color this plant gives at this time of year. The butterflies like it too. Happy GBBD.

Mel said...

Lovely blooms. I think your last photo is virginia knotweed. I can never get good pictures when there is too much green in the shot either.

Sallysmom said...

My ironweed seems to be disappearing. When we moved here 7years ago it was everywhere. Love that clematis stans!

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa my Ironweed is now self seeding like crazy and mostly in the vegetable garden.

Mel that is definitely it. I knew it reminded me of something I couldn't remember the name of, Persicaria.

Sallysmom I have the opposite going on. When I arrived there were only two Ironweed. Now they are spreading fast.

beverly said...

Agree re Persicaria/polygonum (or is it polygonatum, I mix them up). Not sure you want this one; they can spread like crazy!
Love the ironweed; hope to get that started in my new garden.