Saturday, August 3, 2013

The Satisfaction Of A Freshly Mowed Lawn

Let the lawn haters hate me. Surrounded by forest and engulfed by the tall flower meadow, I need the calm oasis and negative space that only a lawn can create.





















The Troy Bilt grass trimmer I won at Carol's May Dreams Gardens a couple months ago finally arrived. There was a delay when the person handling things left the company. I got tired of waiting and emailed to inquire about my trimmer and it was promptly shipped.

I took the new trimmer out for a test run. It worked great. It's also a bit like learning to drive a new car. After using the old trimmer for so many years, a new tools takes some getting used to.





















The Great Lawn looks great when it is freshly mowed. The amazing thing is that just by whacking down the unwanted, real grass has filled in. I even had someone ask me if I had seeded it. No I have not. I have not used any chemicals either. I carved a grass lawn out of the wilderness simply by mowing down what was there.





















Repeated mowing have gotten rid of most of the woodier stumps of the New England Aster, Blackberry and Elderberry as they die off and rot. It's not quite level or perfectly smooth, but it is some of the flattest land I got on this mountain.





















The Great Lawn is a 40 foot diameter circle in the grand scheme of the three quarters of an acre that constitute the garden between the cozy cabin and the scenic byway. It is tiny in the big picture. It's enough to calm my maintenance gardener nerves though. Enough that I can say yes, there is a garden becoming here. It brings just enough order to the exuberant chaos I am surrounded by.





















I only claimed the lawn this year. Last year the head high Lush came right up to the tall yellow Louisiana Iris with only a narrow path behind them separating the two.

The Great Lawn is giving me all kinds of gardener satisfaction.

5 comments:

Lola said...

Looks great. I love it.

beverly said...

I very much agree with the negative space, for which purpose a lawn is well suited. And, you don't use resources to keep it (fertilizer, etc.) And, it doesn't take up most of your property. So what's not to like? Like any garden feature, lawn must be viewed in context.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I think your lawn looks loverly. It is quiet and inviting. Especially with the benches beconing the gardener to sit and relax.

Sallysmom said...

Loving that lawn!

Garden Broad said...

I'm not a lawn person overall, but during a visit my mother shamed me into mowing. I'll admit (here only) that it did look very nice. Somehow a small mowed area is very zen in its' own way.