Friday, August 2, 2013

Meadowy Abundance

We have been having a full month of peak bloom.





















All the rain must be good for some things.





















Maybe not the tomatoes. They are fast succumbing to late blight. I'm not even sure we will be eating fresh tomatoes from the garden this year. Can they ripen before they turn rotten?





















The self sown wild flowers in the roadside vegetable garden are bigger than their meadow brethren, but they have to go. I want my strawberries. I have box turtles to feed.





















I got a Rain Lily this year.





















I can't grow these southern bulbs in the ground. The tall flower meadow would swallow them up anyway.





















The second late summer bloom has begun while the wild flower meadows are still peaking with mid summer bloom. The mountain is abundant with blooms. Just think of all the seeds they will drop to fill in behind me as I edit.

3 comments:

Sallysmom said...

Can you pick the tomatoes and let them ripen on your porch?

Robin said...

That can not be a Florida rain lily, can it?

Christopher C. NC said...

Sallysmom we are going to try some of that as they start to ripen.

No it is a catalog rain lily bulb, But I bet if I kept Florida bulbs in pots and stored them for the winter, they would work too.