Sunday, May 29, 2016

A Good Mowing

I feel better now.





















Over the river and through the woods, up by the vegetable garden, along the scenic byway and down to the Great Lawn, a long passage of order makes sense of the wild cultivated gardens.





















Next weekend the ridge top garden will get its second mowing.





















I did some editing around all the hosta too. They look much better and grow much better when the Lush is not wrapped all around them.



























The iris of the rotten log are a bit hard to weed eat around while they are this small. I have to be careful. The bigger iris are no problem.





















This was a Filipendula rubra 'Venusta'. I planted it a few days ago in the wild area below the Great Lawn. I have been taking more control of that space over time. It can get eight feet tall and spread rampantly. I wanted it. I didn't want anything that big in the garden.

Some damn varmint dug it up probably on Friday. I did not find it until this morning. It was parched. I hope it lives. The bloom is probably lost for this year. I suppose I could buy another.



























After my labors I rested on the Great Lawn for a bit.





















And surveyed my domain.





















And it was good.





















Fear not. Despite all the mowing, the Lush still dominates.





















In trendy landscape design circles they call it the matrix. This is not a facsimile or a planted interpretation. Mine is the real thing.


5 comments:

Carol McKenzie said...

I have a Venusta as well and something bit the top of it off. It sent up another shoot along side, but I'm wondering about bloom for this year. This is its second year; last year was very dry and I wasn't very good about watering or weeding, and it looked very sad for most of the summer. I was happy to see it come back this year.

Christopher C. NC said...

Carol the Filipendula are practically bog plants. They like wet. I have that when the roots are in the ground at least. Dry would slow them down a lot. I just hope this new one didn't dry out to dead before I got it back in the ground.

LostRoses said...

Haha, love this post! I like to survey my domain too!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I like seeing your garden from your sitting area. It gives it a different feel. The matrix is grand.

Lola said...

Enjoy your domain.






I enjoy seeing it.