Saturday, May 14, 2016

And It Was Good

The first full haircut of the time of vegetation is done. To celebrate there will be a little garden party tomorrow. Assorted beverages and delicious foods will be served. The basement patio is now open for dining. So is anywhere else people need to sit. Even for a small party my seating is limited.





















The paths are cleared and the garden is open for botanizing.





















I did invite some plant people. It will be interesting to see what draws their attention. This draws my attention. I love the combination of textures.





















It really is a garden now.





















It is a space that lures you in. While the view from above is superb and I am so lucky to have it, the garden must be entered to be experienced. Before I start cooking tomorrow, I will be entering the garden for slow, quiet stroll.





















Will anyone find the deep red Trillium vaseyi?





















Even harder to find are the bloom stalks of the Puttyroot Orchid, Aplectrum hyemale.





















I know where to look.


7 comments:

Unknown said...

The Puttyroot Orchid looks unique. Is it a companion plant to any of the more common species?

Christopher C. NC said...

The Puttyroot Orchid is very common. I see it coming up in mulched flower beds all the time. It sends up a single purple leaf in early winter. That fades in spring and they bloom May into June. Because it is the bloom stalk only and it is petite, they are hard to find.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

It would be such fun to stroll through your garden looking for such treasures. Have fun with company.

Jan O said...

It looks so good, and I'm sure everyone will have a wonderful time. Thinking of you all, enjoy!

Lola said...

A great find indeed. Wish I could wonder along. Thinking of all. Have fun.

beverly said...

For a long time I thought these orchids were tipularia, having never heard of a plectrum. (Would you believe my computer will NOT allow me to type that as one word - ignorant computer) Then one of my gardening friends had heard of (a)plectrum but not tipularia. After some study, I think it is the longitudinal pleats in the leaves that characterize 'it which must not be named', and the sort of dots on the roughened leaves characterize the tipularia. Have you seen the latter?

All that science aside, your garden looks absolutely beautiful. What an accomplishment.

Christopher C. NC said...

Bev we do have the Tipularia discolor here though it is much less common than the (a)plectrum (damn computer) - What a bossy spell check. Mine doesn't recognize many plant names, but it will let me add them to the dictionary. - The leaves are distinctly different between the two. Aplectrum is pleated and the purple underneath is not so stark. It is a more diffused purple coloring top and bottom. Tipularia is mostly green on top and clearly solid purple on the bottom and often warty. Now I need to remember where one is and watch for the bloom. They are mighty hard to find in the Lush once the leaf is gone.

The garden is looking rather fab. It is nice to see it finally taking shape.