Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Sorry Miranda

There have been several weddings at the Inn this month. I am beginning to see the wear on the gardens this creates. The gardens have fared very well considering two of them were 150 people.

We won't discuss the horrible plastic event tent parked over the seating area for the wedding gazebo and the surrounding beds. I'll just say the gardener is not pleased. Not pleased at all.

There is something about water in the gardens though when it comes to having events.





















Apparently when you see containers filled with water it is an invitation to throw stuff in it. In the case of the fountain, the gravel from the walkways is the ideal thing to pick up and toss in the water. Not money, but pea gravel.





















Twin Falls Pond is another matter. It is a bigger body of water and it has moving, living targets.





















Apparently a pond filled with goldfish is an invitation to pick up the large rocks that form the pond and falls and throw them into the water. Lots of rocks and pond pebbles. My poor fishes were traumatized. The pond was being dismantled.

The story is unattended children are the culprits. In such a tranquil place, parents must feel like it is perfectly fine for the kids to wander off and get lost. It most certainly is a beautiful and serene location. It is also very much the side of a mountain in the woods with coyotes and bears and snakes and poisoned ivy and long drop offs. It is not a place to let your children wander off.





















I'm sorry Miranda. There seems to be a learning curve on having large events where small children and liquor are both involved. It will get better I hope. Two weddings in row have had rocks thrown in to Twin Falls Pond.

I'll just say the gardener is not pleased. Not pleased at all. The authorities are aware of the situation. That's all I can do.





















My dry stack stone wall that has stood unmoved for eight years now despite the concerns of some internet landscape architects all those years ago has encountered a small problem.

Button has decided he can move rocks.





















Some damn varmint crawled in there to escape and that was not going to stop Button from getting it. He just started lifting and pushing the rocks away. I chased him away and put it back together. He pulled it apart again.

I waited until he gave up and put the wall back together again. He pulled it right back apart. It may be time for a little mortar on the top course.

Damn varmints. Rotten kids! Stay out of my gardens!





















Oohmmm....... We won't discuss what kind creature is digging small holes in the Great Lawn. My lawn can handle that.


6 comments:

Barry said...

Perhaps the owners could pay some enterprising youth to monitor the water features, particularly to halt assaults on Miranda's place with stupid stuff, during such festivities. I used to play lifeguard for birthday pool parties, which really was just to keep down mess-making and rowdiness. I recall a sum of perhaps 5 dollars for a whole afternoon (it was in the last century).

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Unattended children is a big problem everywhere. At a park where we walk children fill a three-space pamphlet holder with mulch. I know a young child would do this and it would take a long time to fill it. Where was the parent/overseer?? The poor fishes.

beverly said...

I like Barry's idea, or I was thinking perhaps you could net the water features for weddings! The garden where I volunteer also has weddings and although it is larger and more impervious, you wouldn't believe what we find in the bushes. The combination of wedding partying and alcohol is pretty hopeless to expect civil behavior.

Christopher C. NC said...

The idea of a baby sitting service was mentioned. I even heard talk of a rent-a-cop having been hired for one function. Water feature protection will need to be added to the duty roster. It's all a delicate balance though when people are paying big money to rent a space. How far can the bouncer go with the drunk when alcohol is being served?

Carol McKenzie said...

Hopefully it won't be an issue until a child falls into the pond. I'm not fond of little kids left unattended (actually of little kids in general. I have one who is in his 20's, so I'm past that stage). I'd offer to dress as a pond troll and sit in the bushes and scare them off. (I'm mostly kidding, although the idea, and the visuals, are making me laugh). Maybe a motion-activated sprinkler?

Lola said...

I am with you. Kids are not taught these days to leave all alone.