Wednesday, April 9, 2008

More Fritillaria

Looking up a Fritillaria meleagris.













They hang down.


















And what do you know, I found some more.


















Because I saw these Fritillaria blooming I knew what this patch of foliage was likely to be. Then while I was taking the picture I saw the plant tag with the label Fritillaria verticillata. I don't see any sign of flower buds on the growing points.













The big one, Fritillaria imperialis, aka F. rubra maxima. They hang down too.















It is called the Crown Imperial for its Pineapple headdress. Let's look up its flower too.















In situ.














The Iris bucharica is really putting on a show.















Ipheion uniflorum in another location.













How'd that pure white one get in there?













The wall is taller and I am tired.

6 comments:

Chrissy said...

Amazing the variety of plants you're discovering in your area. Great pics.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, how's that F. imperialis smell?

Christopher C. NC said...

Thanks Chrisss. The resident gardeners have been at it for 25 years on this mountain. I am the lucky borrower of this garden.

mmw, I'll take a whiff and get back to you.

Anonymous said...

Thank you.

chuck b. said...

Very cool. All I can seem to do with fritillaries is kill them.

chuck b. said...

I just saw one of those Fritillaria meleagris in a pot on the sidewalk on my way to the hardware store.