Sunday, April 20, 2008

What's New In The Forest

I do believe I have found a second Trillium here, Trillium catesbaei, Catesby's Trillium, but the flowers were not open yet. These Trillium grandiflorum will have to stand in for a few days. About the only difference is the size of the flower, much smaller, and a possibly longer pedicel the flower grows from. On a short trip to the Kingdom of Madison I saw Trillium erectum, Wake Robin. It has red petals. There were plenty of the Trillium catesbaei and either a hybrid between the two with pink petals and prominent veins or another species altogether.

I was so busy botanizing I forgot to take pictures.












This may be Ranunculus hispidus, one of the Buttercups.















Another Violet has been discovered. This one has white flowers half the size of the Purple Violet and the same heart shaped leaf. It is also smaller and looks a bit different than the other white Viola canadensis. I need a more extensive ID book.













Tiarella cordifolia or Foamflower. This patch had nice big leaves with red coloring. The others have a plain dark green leaf. I think some of this will need to be moved into the tamed garden areas in the future.













It's an Arisaema. I have spotted a couple of them so far. Finding them again in the forest is another matter. Most likely Arisaema triphyllum.


















Is this one just a baby? They may need to be a bit bigger for a more dramatic effect.

5 comments:

Chrissy said...

Great finds and wonderful photos.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness... that Arisaema is adorable--and small. I wonder if it is a baby, or if it's a smaller variety?

I'm so jealous of your trilliums. The t. grandiflorum carpet (literally) the woods behind my parents' house and they always make me think of spring.

chuck b. said...

That little Arisaema is too cute.

Christopher C. NC said...

Thanks Chrisss.

I should go find that Arisaema again and put a flag by it. Then I can move it into the cabin's garden someday. Of course there are more and likely more species. I saw seeds of larger ones last fall. I'll find them on another meander through the forest.

lisa said...

LOVE that arisaema! I want a big collection of them some day...so far I have only two.