Monday, June 22, 2009

Time Heals All Wounds

When I arrived on this mountain top in June of 2007, I did not even know this rickety old fence was there. It was buried in a tangle of blackberries, vetch and Clematis virginiana. I attacked the mess with a machete and sprayed the regrowth with an herbicide. Then I covered the ground with a thick layer of wood chips and contemplated what to plant in the front bed that would grace my entry.

Two years later with no budget, a climate zone with a real winter and plenty of other things to do, this bed is getting closer to a completed thought.



The Miscanthus sinensis is multiplying. It has been divided so many times I doubt I have seen it reach its full height.



The Chicory, Chicorum intybus, a totally common roadside weed has grown big and is blooming. I thought a common roadside weed would be perfect for this bed.



The other side of my driveway is where I do my share cropping. The land will not be mine and the wildflower meadow was staying. Too sharp of a contrast between the two sides in the landscape design would be unsettling.

One day I would like to get a new split rail fence. Something just a tad more milled that could be fastened without old shoe strings and loose baling wire. I think that would give a nice civilizing effect to the intended wildness.



All was moving along smoothly in a garden area that was not subject to any disturbance from cabin construction.

Until today.



My well is not going to be anywhere near where we wanted it to go.



Suffice it to say there are lots of regulations involving setbacks and a well drilling rig that needs to find level in order to drill.

Half of one flower bed was dug up and set off to the side.



The roadside vegetable garden was spared at least.



That is where the well drilling inspector man drew the backup drilling site in case the settled upon choice would not work. It did not work because that part of the driveway was to narrow and to steep for the rig to set up.

In a few days I can replant the flower bed around the new well head. I would not be able to salvage this year's vegetables from that kind of disturbance.

9 comments:

beckie said...

Christopher, I was just coming to comment on your last post when I saw another one up already! I love your rock walls-have always wanted one, but... I aaume the rocks are found on your property or at least close by. Your cabin looks so interesting and I am sure you are ready for it to be done. One day it will be and you will look back with pride at all you have accomplished.

I think the wild flowers are just the plants for your roadside. The look great to me and don't seem at all common. :) I hope your replantings do alright-at least you are getting enough rain to keep them watered. Glad you finally got a well and hope that is all of the disruptions you will have to your plantings.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, talk about complications! Will there be a problem running the pipes to the cabin? (I still don't have a clear mental picture of your site, but that's my right brain problem.)

As you say, at least it was the flower bed. More "steep slope construction" lessons, geez.

bev

Christopher C. NC said...

Beckie, there is no shortage of rocks here. They are all from on site and just beg to have something done with them.

The only plant that was dug today that I am a bit concerned about is a Mugo Pine. I hope it doesn't mind being disturbed and now I don't think I want it near the well head since it can get rather large over time and block access. It may need to find a new home.

Hi Bev. All this means is it is a longer run for the water and electric lines to the cabin. It will be trenched right along the edge of the driveway. We had the perfect spot but they wouldn't let us put it close to the propane tank.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

There is nothing common about the blue of the chickory. No flower that can capture a bit of the sky and offer it up without any coaxing or coddling is worth the space you give it.

What a shocker having to put your well so darned far from the cabin. What a pain to have to dig up so much to be able to drill. I think I heard you sigh all the way over here. I don't blame you.

lola said...

Wow, what a bummer that you couldn't have your water supply closer to the Cozy Cabin. Will there be a problem of freezing in winter or will the pipe be buried enough? Glad they didn't have to disturb your roadside garden. It's tough to have to try to start over when it's getting too late for most things.
Your entrance looks so much like the one end of our dbl entrance.

Glad you will soon have the wet stuff in the Cozy Cabin.

Frances said...

Yikes! Hope it was done to your satisfaction in your absences and the plants did not suffer too much from being dug up. Thank goodness it wasn't the vegetable garden too. But it does seem to be progress towards the eventual moving into the cozy cabin. It was a great day, BTW.

Frances

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa, I love that sky blue too and what could be a better tough perennial than one that gets mowed regular and keeps on blooming. Yea I was not pleased about the well location, but what can you do. The first spot approved was already miles from where I wanted it to be to begin with.

Lola the main water line will be buried deep enough that freezing won't be a problem. The well man keeps pushing those hideous fake rock well head covers as a way to prevent that exposed part from freezing. I need another solution.

Yes Frances, it was a great day and probably better than watching a well drilling mess.

lola said...

I agree the fake rock well heads are hideous. Just an eyesore in my opinion. You will come up with a clever idea to work the same magic.

Siria said...

Hi Christopher! Yes, the fake rock cover is not very appealing. In addition, you need to insulate it well if you don't want the well head to freeze! I look forward to seeing your solution as I hate my fake rock cover. At least mine is out of the way somewhat.