Sunday, March 27, 2011

Intentional Darkness

Large amounts of wet descended yesterday at dusk. A dreary cold and foggy day followed. Client #1 and wife came to see the Bulbapaloozathon despite the conditions. They were treated to an ethereal sight of a hillside covered in bright yellow daffodils through an ebbing and flowing dense layer of fog. These weren't conditions that invited a person to linger. I do think they were impressed with what they saw though.



There are times when the sun shines very bright up here. So bright a need could arise to turn the cozy cabin into a dark protective cave. Today's little project was hanging two inch wide oak Levelor blinds.



Three out of six windows were done. These blinds will also be of use when the lights are on at night and the leafy protective screening between me and the scenic byway is absent during the winter. I don't need any drive by peepers.



This project went smoothly until it came time to remove a section of the bottom slats for the shorter window. In the dark and the fog it was hard to get the cut strings threaded through the tiny holes in the bigger bottom slat that had to be put back on.

I finally figured out that a quick burn with a lighter to fuse the cut threads made getting the string through the tiny hole a whole lot easier. The remaining three windows to do are all short ones. Now I have figured out the easy way to put them back together after cutting off the extra slats. Hopefully it will go a little quicker.



The fog lifted late in the day and I went for a second stroll. It was still wet and cold and I didn't linger.



Familiarity breeds quick photography.



I know where to look for new things. Rare on Bulbhilla, regular large kind tulips mingle the smaller species tulips that are being given a chance to see if they will perennialize.



One of the species tulips is already getting ready to bloom. What will it be?



The other Erythronium, possibly pagoda or kondo is looking more robust each year. There is a native Erythronium to these mountains, so we do have the right conditions for the Trout Lilies.



The entire next week is looking to be a wet soupy mix. Very spring like. The fog has already returned.



It could slow the inevitable momentum of the 10,000 daffodils need to bloom.



Maybe there will be something of it left when the resident gardeners finally arrive.

3 comments:

Lola said...

The white stuff didn't seem to bother the beauty very much. It's still there.
Glad the client #1 & wife were able to see some of the beauty of your lovely mtn top.
Next week is supposed to be wet here also. Not bad as we need the moisture. So glad I was able to get most of all planting done. Now if it won't come a gully washer & destroy all. Did some Leeks today, trying to see if they will do. My grasses are very slow except for Karle Rose. It has started to show much green.

Anonymous said...

Is that a trout lily? I planted one a year ago and it didn't come back. I guess the pines take up all the moisture. I have also planted foxtail liies. I am deep in zone 8. When do you think I will see some greenery?
Sallysmom

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola that little snow didn't do any harm. I think it was more wind and rain the bent the heavy blossoms. Still plenty left. Good to hear you are getting your crops in on time. I still have six weeks to wait for the main garden.

Sallysmom yes that is a trout lily also called dog-tooth violet. They like that proverbial moist, well drained, humus rich soil which the hardwood forest makes by default. My foxtail lilies and some I planted for a client last fall are already up. If you haven't seen them yet in zone 8 it isn't a good sign. The foxtail lilies need sharp drainage I hear and are prone to rot if they stay in wet soils.