Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Terrible Thing Happened

On The Way To The Bulbapaloozathon


Hundreds more of the minor bulbs appear every morning sprinkled like so must star dust on the forest floor.



A big patch of pale blue Puschkinia is as big as ever if not bigger despite being plundered last fall to spread the wealth further and faster in the wild cultivated garden.



The flowering Magnolia is loaded with deep pink buds swelling and unfurling with each degree of warmth. There is no winter burst lurking on the horizon. The Magnolia should have time to finish blooming without a freezing interruption.



But a terrible thing has happened. I have grown jaded. 10,000 daffodils are no longer enough. There is plenty empty space in between.

I am turning into my mother, a mini Bulberfella. We need more. No doubt my father would agree, I take after her side of the family more than his.

Can't you see? There is room for more daffodils.



For now there are still things to keep me occupied and out of the garden, away from grandiose schemes. The back stair steps where closed in for the final visit of the inspector mens. One more item off the list.



On the right in the tiny space between the wood deck and the house siding, a floor joist was attached for another half wide piece of decking to close off that gap and make the inspector mens happy. Can you believe they want that tiny gap closed on the wood landing and said nothing about the giant hole off of the stepping stone landing? I wasn't about to bring it up.

I do plan to do something about that giant hole though and am contemplating using tall pieces of cut bamboo dropped into PVC vases in the ground below for a visual barrier at the least.



Are 10,000 daffodils and an equal number of minor bulbs rising to a crescendo of bloom really enough? There's plenty room for more.



Can't you see? There could be more.



This gardener gene can be a terrible thing.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris, I understand completely. "More" is never enough when it comes to a garden.
Sallysmom

Anonymous said...

"Bulberfella"!!?? That's your best one since i started reading your blog!! ((:

Well, yeah - it does look like some of those clumps of daffs could use dividing......

bev

Siria said...

I'm not sure I'd classify that as "a terrible thing" :)
And I totally agree that there is definitely room for more!

Christopher C. NC said...

Sallysmom you must be one of us.

Bev it could be the number of daffodils have reached the point where there are too many to divide in the fall. Bulbarella needs some help with that.

Siria I keep meaning to pick up another color of those little marker flags for a system to mark empty spaces and clumps that need dividing. We have orange flags.

Lola said...

Definitely room for more. Little flags sounds like a good idea. I couldn't remember where they all are.
Bamboo in pvc sounds good. Would like to see pic when it's done.
More planting of veggies tomorrow, I hope.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Somehow I don't think of you as a "mini" anything. You may be morphing into a gigantic Bulberfella though. I can see all the "space" bothering you. I see a need for some more daffs/narccissus. Yes a "need".

Frances said...

Let the battle cry be forever "More!". Bulbafella, I love it! :-)
Frances

Frances said...

Divide the daffs as soon as they are done, or before, while you can see them.

Robin Ripley said...

Yep, I like Bulberfella. I also like inspector mans.

Anonymous said...

Bulberfella......OMG, LOL, LMFAO
Can you tell I have a teenager?
You may rue that remark. You may have created another family tale to tell.

Sis R

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola I take pics of most everything. The bamboo screen is on the list, but not close to the top.

Yes Lisa. It needs more daffodils for good design.

Frances dividing right after bloom should be given serious consideration though I think someone would miss the fall bulb planting.

Robin the inspector mans were a double tag team on me for the first final. I was only expecting one.

Well Sis R the name can be worked on and could it be any worse than the statement that I am turning into my mother?

Lola said...

Christopher, there is nothing wrong in being like your mother. She is a loving, caring woman that loves nature. I find that the older I get the more like my mom that I get. She also was a loving, caring woman that was nature loving. She loved her flowers & made a garden. Even when she was living in an apt. she still had her tomato plants & such. I understand her more now than I did when I was younger. I still miss her.

Cindy, MCOK said...

I totally agree! You need more, Bulberfella!