Saturday, March 5, 2011

A Little Variety

I'm still waiting for the WUD, World's Ugliest Daffodil, to bloom. That seemed a better choice than crawling under the barbed wire fence in the cold misty rain and prying open its petals to see what was going on in there. It is looking like it will be normal again this year. The question is what will the cup look like. It has been different two years running now. If it is a single cup as I suspect, a full reversion to normal will have occurred. Then it won't matter that it has escaped. We already have that kind.



Some of each is Bulbarella's general thought behind ordering bulbs and buying hosta. White crocus are beginning to appear through the leaf litter.



Chionodoxa forbesii 'Pink Giant' has multiplied and returned. This is the only patch of it in the garden. It really should be moved to a better spot because it is being buried by a huge clump of forsythia.



Putting different kinds of crocus in the same hole makes for a more varied floral display. There are also daffodils planted in the group to act as poisonous guardians for the more tasty crocus corms. Surrounding bulbs the varmints might eat by the poisonous daffodils is a new experimental strategy in the garden.



The day was too grey and misty, threatening rain at any moment, to paint. I looked at the radar and went to town between waves for more pea gravel. The lake is still a touch shallow for my liking, but it will do for now. Then I just had to see what the glass bottle edging would look like and used some bottles sizes not in the pattern going in around the cabin side bed.

I really like the juxtaposition of the glass with the stone. I may have to start dumpster diving soon for more bottles so I can finish this project off. I have not thought much at all about what to plant in the bed behind Turd Blossom Lake, other than perennials. The sewer line runs through there after all. This scene almost cries out for a weeping Japanese Maple though.

I still need to add more soil to the bed for better freeze protection for the sewer line so there is time to mull over what to plant. It would be nice to have some structural winter interest and not just an empty bed or tattered perennials in the winter.



There are more kinds of daffodils on Bulbhilla than you can pick up sticks around and more are showing up every day. The clue is a lump in the leaf litter. A quick swipe with a stick sets them free.



Show time is still a good month away, but more variety of life keeps appearing every day.

11 comments:

Lola said...

Great crocus & Daffy's. How many bottles do you plan to use around the Turd Lake? Will it be a mixture of rock & glass bottles? It looks so neat.

Siria said...

Wow...it's looking great. I love the pea gravel lake and the small stone wall behind it with the artistic display of rocks. I feel awful because I had saved a whole case of different bottles for you and I forgot to get them to you. I will be giving you more the next time I see you if you still need them. Hope it stays warm tomorrow and keeps the snow showers away.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola it will take another 30 bottles at least for the lake and maybe another 100 or more for the beds on either side of the front steps. I need quite a few bottles.

Siria you can always stop by and should, even if only briefly for a quick stroll when you are here in April. I will probably still need them then. Or by chance did you stash the bottles you saved outside?

Siria said...

No...they aren't outside. Sorry....but I promise to get them to you and if you aren't there I will leave them in a box on your porch. :)

Anonymous said...

Do you still need bottles? We have been hoarding them for you and now have a goodly number.

Anonymous said...

Okay, caught up with you now. Might your WUD be of Ice Follies ancestry? Maybe it crossed or got mutated somehow and is returning to normal? Who knows what happens with those things. Congrats on being to near to occupancy, it all looks grand and I love your Lake. I think you will be more than busy in the years ahead with garden design and maintenance. We will be glad to supply plant material when needed. Watch out for those Gold Mops. That is what mine started out as, one is now over 15 feet tall and the rest over 8 ft. Should have kept them pruned. We might leave the wine bottles at the Hop and let you pick them up at your leisure, or the Hop West might be more convenient. Hale Mana is lovely.
xxxooo

Christopher C. NC said...

Frances yes I still need a lot of bottles. Dropping them off at the Hop is fine, but you should stop by around the first of April for the Bulbapaloozathon peaking. I'm thinking it will be earlier this year. Then there is the May 22nd garden warming and Hale Mana's debut.

I think the WUD is related to Ice Follies. Something is going on to mess with their cups though. I will keep the Golden Mops below the top railing of the front porch for sure. I have a few years before that happens.

Carol Michel said...

I look forward to seeing the WUD in full bloom. But don't forget the long shots so we can see the big show, too!

Anonymous said...

We don't want to miss the biggest bulb show this side of Holland! :-)

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I really like the way you have placed the bottle between the rocks. The lake is forming nice. The bulbs aren't so ugly. Be nice.

Christopher C. NC said...

Carol I won't forget the long shots for the Bulbapaloozathon. They are pretty important.

Frances I figure you are passing by more often now that there is a Fairegarden East.

Lisa I'm liking how the lake is turning out. It is nice to see an idea turn out like you imagined.