Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A New Discovery

Am I a little pathetic or what? Grumbling about a floral display that rivals or surpasses that of spring because it isn't arranged neatly. The low spot of a North Carolina mountain top is bursting with late season wildflowers. It is rather mind blowing and there is more to come. The blue wood asters have yet to arrive.



All the usual suspects that I have come to know are here. Goldenrod, asters, lobelia, ageratina, anemones, impatiens, vernonia, eupatorium, angelica, mums, and the grasses, to name the main players, have all combined to put on a rather stunning display this year. And I grumble because they are so tall and thick in places I cant get through.



So I went for a little stroll where things are not nearly as tall and found a wildflower that is completely new. I have never seen it here before.



I have discovered a solitary Gentiana saponaria, Soapwort Gentian, a rare native plant said to be at home in bogs, marshes and low ditches. It is growing in light shade on a steep hill of well drained saprolite. So well drained a soil it is deemed unsuitable for septic drain fields because the water will pass through before biological activity can clean it up. Either my saprolite is not as well drained as the inspector mans thinks or it rains here enough to keep it consistently wet. I have a rare bog plant growing on a steep hillside.



I will quit grumbling and enjoy this rambunctious floral exuberance. There are signs about that it will all be over soon.



The season of exuberant foliage is fast approaching.

5 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

What a gift to find this beauty in your wild garden.

Fairegarden said...

Oh it is a beauty, Christopher! I love that a bog plant decided to move into your mountainside soil. How tall is it?

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa It won't surprise me if I find more new species of plants over the years.

Frances it is about two feet tall. Two single unbranched stems. Apparently the flowers never fully open.

Lola said...

What a lovely find. I do suspect there are many surprises that will be found in time. A fine wonderment of your mtns.

Anonymous said...

Wow, how very cool! I am visiting Maine currently and have seen bottle gentians, but I am not sophisticated enough to know the species.

bev