Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Turning Blue

Not quite blue, but this is the largest patch of Trycyrtis I have ever seen and blooming magnificently as we head into October. Two of these were planted on the mountain top this year. One in the garden to be and one in the ridge top garden. I hope they are happy here and multiply to become as large as this patch. Then they can be divided and spread around.



This isn't blue either. The Cleome, Spider Flower at the posh estate has been blooming non stop since it was planted. I collected plenty seed of this annual. There is always room for more in the exuberant chaos of the wild cultivated garden. I'm getting as bad as Bulbarella. You collect seed of anything pretty and then fling them out there just to see what happens. If it doesn't take no big loss. It was only seeds.



The Lush however is turning blue. This is mostly the tall and floppy New England Aster, Symphyotrichum novae-angliae. Will this be its last year in the garden to be? They are on the edit out list. I want a more garden like garden one day. I actually have planted all kinds of things on this slope. Right now you would never know it. It's all buried in asters.



A pink anemone hides among the preferred Blue Wood Asters.



The preferred Goldenrod, Solidago curtisii blooms with blue asters, the good and the bad kind.



And there are hosta with the preferred Blue Wood Aster.



There are blue asters everywhere. And it is just getting started.

4 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Blue on blue...

Lola said...

Love that blue. Wish it were here instead of the wild stuff growing. It's in my asparagus bed of all things. Has those little stick looking thingy s that stick to your clothes. Grrrrrrr.

Lola said...

Sure would like some seed of the Cleome as the color is different from what I've seen. It is a "not too much care" plant. I think it's pretty.

chuck b. said...

Can you ever really get rid of the asters? I brought some in to my garden from a seedhead pinched on the side of the road as a vacation souvenir a few years ago. Some Symphotrichum. It spreads vigorously underground and comes up everywhere now. Alas, lots of leaves, not many flowers.