Saturday, June 2, 2012

The Lush Begins To Bloom

All my angst about the wild state of things in what passes for gardens high on the low spot is challenged every year when the Lush begins to bloom. Weeds become wildflowers.




















Civilized flowers can get weedy and go wild.


























One attempt to grow something goes poorly. The following generations self sown and ignored do just fine.


























Regular editing even when incomplete enhances the result. The key is in knowing what you don't want. Remove most of that and see what else fills the space. There are plenty of other weeds ... er wildflowers; native, naturalized and added that will fill in.




















Yucca filamentosa is a native in these parts. My colored cultivars are big enough to bloom now. I am waiting to find them again in 4 inch pots and add many more in the garden becoming.


























Hidden in the Lush is a tiny baby box turtle. This one is no bigger than a ping pong ball. I have found freshly dug egg laying holes around the perimeter of the roadside vegetable garden twice now. I have a population of box turtles multiplying on a diet of delicious spring strawberries. Damn varmints. We  need to pick them faster.


















The Lush begins to bloom and thoughts of a more civilized garden loses some of its focus.


























Plan B calls for the backbone of a more civilized garden that will be able to rise above the Lush. That was accomplished rather quickly in the front roadside bed with the Miscanthus 'Morning Light'. It also fits right in with the wild state of things. The baby shrubberies out there are a bit slower.




















The Lush will always lap at the feet of the notion of structure in my garden. When it begins to bloom I will remember why I must gladly learn to live with it.

9 comments:

Skeeter said...

Beautiful. We have baby Box Turtles around often. When I see a large one, I run to the compost bin and pluck a worm and feed them! It is so rewarding having them drop by for a visit and snack. My Theory, If you have turtles, you have worms. Worms in the garden are a good thing.....

Christopher C. NC said...

Skeeter the roadside vegetable garden is chock full of worms.

Stephanie said...

Beautiful lush flowers, Christopher...Ive also got alot of turtles in my woodland swamp....More this year because of all the rain we are having coupled with a mild winter., Im thinking.....Good to know that means worms!

Rebecca said...

"The key is in knowing what you don't want. Remove most of that and see what else fills the space." (That may not sound profound to you....but it appears foundational to The Lush!

It appears to me, you're King of The Lush. It's really beautiful.

Carol Michel said...

I love seeing the pictures now that I've been to there. Lovely!

Diana said...

The lush is lovely - so fun to watch blooms as they roll out yet change from year to year. Our spring rains changed all our regular wildflower bloom cycles.

Siria said...

Your lush is beautiful Christopher! I love your chickory!

Gail said...

Christopher, I am going to take your wise words and plant them in my head for future reference "Regular editing even when incomplete enhances the result. The key is in knowing what you don't want. Remove most of that and see what else fills the space. There are plenty of other weeds ... er wildflowers; native, naturalized and added that will fill in.". gail

Dig, Grow, Compost, Blog said...

Lovely! There's nothing like seeing a garden in person to make me really appreciate what I'm seeing in the photos. It's gorgeous.