Friday, June 22, 2012

Time For The Daylilies

Summer means daylilies. As you can imagine they are scattered from one end of the mountain top to the other and come in all the colors available. They set seed and self sow most generously. As a result they can be found in some odd places. Most of these freebies turn out orange though.




















The bed behind the roadside vegetable garden is actually dedicated solely to daylilies. If everything else was weeded out it would be a huge bed packed full of just daylilies. Maybe next year it will get weeded.



















A few years ago a large patch of Lorelei Iris was evicted to expand the daylily bed behind the roadside vegetable garden. This is where many of Bulbarella's new catalog acquisitions end up. This part of the bed has more variety and less of a sweep of a single type. This end of the bed needs weeding too. Damn wildflowers.


























Summer means all kind other things are starting to bloom too. I sowed seed of the native perennial Ratibida columnifera along my driveway. Two seasons later the plants are much more robust. There even seems to be a substantial second year delayed germination. I am seeing all kinds of new seedlings this year. There was not enough bloom the first year to do that.

These first to bloom are missing the red /orange part on the petals. I want the red orange ones. They better show up.


























Daylily time usually means the roadside vegetable garden is finally kicking into gear and showing signs of real growth. I always have to wait patiently for what passes as hot summer temperatures up here. Maybe it got up to 80 today.  In another two weeks I have to start thinking about planting the fall garden. But where can I put anything when the summer crops have only now contemplated actual growth and production?




















The raccoon's corn is looking good.




















Is that a waterfall I see? Mercy. We have been getting about half an inch of rain a day in quick hard downpours. Today's outburst may have provided a bit more than half an inch in half an hour. That is the most water I have ever seen come through that culvert. Problem is once it hits the ground it is flowing to the right over my septic drain field. I want it to go left away from the drain field and head into the bottom crease of the garden becoming. I think I see a dry stream bed in my future.


























Summer time daylilies and summer time thunder storms. I think another storm is headed this way now.




















Rain and Lush. We have a lot of both.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We finally got rain last night. We have really been needing it. I have come to love I have come to love Daylillies. They just do not take a lot of care and they bloom profusely year to year. I will get yellow squash and cucumbers out of my garden today or tomorrow. Seems like I will have to wait much longer for tomatoes and corn. The greedy rabbits ate my green beans to nubs. I think I may have saved one row with chicken wire. That is probably enough for us anyway.

Dianne

sallysmom said...

I've had no rain in 3 weeks. We have daylily "farms" down around here. I guess if work gets slack, you could always sell a few clumps of those ;)

Lisa at Greenbow said...

You lucky dog getting all that rain and cool weather. Here it is hot and dry. Still no rain. WHINE. Your daylilies look grand.

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

I know what you mean about redirecting water... needing to do the same here. Love all the daylilies. Hoping mine will reseed over the years as well. I did plant a lot more this year....hoping Mr. Deer doesn't eat them.
We all have more weeds than we want, oh well.

Lola said...

We had another good shower yesterday. It was a quiet shower, soft. My lilies are blooming, even the ones I added this spring. I too like the lilies as they don't require a lot of care. Your garden sure looks fine.I'm getting a few "maters", cukes, green beans, onions. Got eggplants coming. Uncle Ernie sure is doing his job. That sure is a lot of water coming out that culvert. I can see why you would want to divert it.

chuck b. said...

If you grow corn for raccoon does that mean you are growing raccoon for mountain lions?