Friday, January 16, 2015

A Full Pond

In less than 24 hours that tiny little spring nearly filled the entire Twin Falls Pond. When I arrived this morning it was only a couple of inches below the water level I want to maintain.

What that means is I will have a full pond of water that needs to be discharged on a daily basis out of this big stone bowl.

So I pumped it out and there was of course plenty of water still beneath the liner. I pumped that out and it flowed back in almost as fast as it was being pumped out. I am wondering if this pond is sitting on top of an underground stream.

My next test is to remove the pond liner and see how full the mud hole gets with the spring flowing in to it. If it doesn't fill up as high that means the water is flowing through and out of there some how.

It was cold. The ground was covered in snow. I think I have a headache. I went back home. Ugh!





















The other job I had planned for the day higher up the same mountain was also covered in snow. I only got the slightest trace. The other side of the county got an inch and a half.

It wasn't exactly warm when I got home. Oh well. I have laundry I can do.

The sun was out at least and the little baby 'Jelena' was taking full advantage.





















'Arnold's Promise' is only slightly bigger and is also loaded with flower buds. It came from the same batch of Witch Hazels at the nursery, but was planted the fall before the other four which got planted last spring.



























I have a feeling the Twin Falls Pond is just going to have to live with water beneath the liner. All that capturing the spring may have done is give me a free source of water to keep it full. I hope that will at least eliminate the constant wet spots that were there.

I'd rather be at home with my 'Jelena's'. It feels like this winter is getting away from me before I have a chance to get my chores done here that need doing.


4 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Your pond project is a puzzlement. I don't envy you trying to figure out what to do with it.

My Jelena has some small odd looking blooms on it. Not very pretty. I don't thing this thing is Jelena.

I think you should forget the pond until it gets warmer and work in your own garden. What are you going to do?

Christopher C. NC said...

Yes Lisa this pond is a puzzlement. I just keep plugging away. I may have gotten lucky today and discovered a drain for the old pond which will keep the water beneath the liner draining. It gushed out big time when I unburied it. I sure hope so. I'll know more in a couple days after more testing.

Check your 'Jelena' close on the trunk and make sure you have the graft part and not root stock suckers that took over. I saw H. virginiana online as being used for root stock. It has small yellow flowers, but should bloom in late fall. It takes a few days for them to completely unfurl too. Maybe it is just starting.

Lola said...

Puzzlement or no you will figure it out. It does look good.

Christopher C. NC said...

I'll figure something out Lola. There was a working Twin Falls Pond full to the top with rocks before. There will be a working Twin Falls Pond full of water and fishes when I am done.