Saturday, January 17, 2015

In Search Of Snowdrops

My plan to stay home and work in the wild cultivated gardens after a quick trip to town did not go as planned. I got sucked in to the Twin Falls Pond again. I came home much too late to start working. There was time for a leisurely stroll left. I thought I'd go looking for snowdrops.

The Witch Hazel 'Diane' is getting ready to burst.



























There are acres of chop and drop that need doing before the bulbs start to wake up. There has been no snow to help since November.





















Hello chimney.





















Yes there are snowdrops.





















Popping up all over the place.

If I had been nice I would have removed that branch sitting right on top of this clump, but I liked the way they were managing things on their own.





















The afternoon was so nice all three kitties came on the stroll.





















The other 'Diane' is getting ready to bloom too.





















The Under Garden has been getting a lot of center stage time in this pretty snowless winter.





















Just imagine what a contribution the Witch Hazels will be to the Under Garden and to winter interest when they are ten feet tall, eight feet around and in full bloom. They may slow down even more traffic on the scenic byway.


3 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Your comment about my Jelena photo makes me think that this one has gone native. It has bloomed as I had hoped. My Diane blooms are still all curled up. Another warm day like today and it may begin to unfurl. I love all your snowdrops. I have few. They have never reproduced like I thought they would. They seem to be regressing. Maybe I disturb the soil too much pulling weeds around them. Enjoy this mild winter weather while it lasts.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa I will take a closer look and pictures of the finished blooms of the native H. virginiana tomorrow. The best I can say about this winter weather is at least most nights it is below freezing. Warm Januarys are bad, bad, bad.

Lola said...

I sure wish I could grow the witch hazels here. Glad your snowdrops are doing so well.