Saturday, January 3, 2015

Where's Winter

January 3rd, 2015; 56 degrees with a low of 40 something. I wandered out into the wild cultivated gardens before the rain started again to limb up a few more trees and actually started to sweat. I had on one two many layers of clothes.

It is January. It is supposed to be winter. I am supposed to need layers to stay warm. After a snowy November, winter has gone missing.




















Already bad things are starting to happen. 'Jelena' should not be unfurling her tresses until late February.





















The last time we had a freakishly warm January was followed by the worst Bulbapaloozathon in my short history on this mountain top.

Warm temperatures break dormancy. Once broken, bad things can happen when the inevitable blast of cold arrives. Winter needs to start now and stay for a while.



















The diagnosis for the week is suggesting cold is on the way. I see a low of 6 for Thursday morning. It is looking like a snowless cold. That isn't good. Snow makes a nice insulating blanket for single digit lows.

Oh well, better to put an end to this heatwave without snow than to stay stuck in this warm wet rain. I have a garden that needs a cold sleep for the next two months.


2 comments:

Sallysmom said...

I live in zone 8a. I am concerned that it is going to warm up way too soon and my daffodil display will be a mess
:(.

Christopher C. NC said...

Hopefully this cold will make it down to you Sallysmom. It's time I had some real snow. Where's my snow?