Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Stopping Traffic

I saw the car slow down. Then Button came running down the driveway stopping for furtive glances. Something was up. Then I heard the voices.

"Look at all those wild flowers."
"Do you see that? It's full of art in there."
 I guess it is now official. My junk is art.

"That would look good in our yard."
Oh Lord. Don't Even Think About It. I was already half naked and ready to take a shower. Don't make me go up there.

They loaded up and moved on. I should be used to this by now.





















The chicory was closed for the day. The daylilies have only just begun. A little bit of the liatris is showing. Mostly it is just the weed flowers. It's another week until the really big show and the roadside spectacle is already stopping traffic.





















I have to use the full sun I have and there is a lot of it up by the scenic byway.





















The utility lines going to the neighbor's place across the byway branch off from the line in the roadside vegetable garden. That means no trees allowed. No problem. I can put that full sun to good use.

That means a plot for fine produce surrounded by flowers and wild flowers and flowers turned wild and when it is in full bloom, traffic can indeed come to a stop.



























Earlier in the evening I parked myself on the Great Lawn. It's been hot. We have been hitting the upper 80's with little wind and few clouds. The cozy cabin is warm. The sun is hot. In the cool shade on the Great Lawn it feels ten degrees cooler. Ahhh. Much better.





















My newest Japanese Maple is settling in. It is a seedling from Client#1's garden I found growing inside a big chamaecyparis. I love the bright green stems with the red leaves. There are some seedling forest trees pretty close to it that I should probably remove to give it a wee bit more sun and elbow room. I'll get to it at some point.



























This is 'Annabelle', the wild found cultivar of the native Hydrangea arborescens.





















These are next door in the ridge top garden. The ones I moved into my part of the garden are still pretty small. They are going to bloom for me at least.





















The native Fly Poison is in full bloom. I need to remember to watch for seeds.



























These are Brodiaea. Can you say that? They were forgotten after they got planted and came as a surprise. I can see how this much later blooming bulb will have issues with the Lush.





















They stop for the seemingly wild spectacle along a scenic byway and have no idea how much more there is inside.


3 comments:

Lola said...

Inside or out it is gorgeous.

Swimray said...

I can think of worse ways to stop traffic. Do any visitors leave notes if you are not around?
Ray

Christopher C. NC said...

No notes or other offerings so far Swimray.