Saturday, June 20, 2015

Summer Bloom Begins

June is a bit of a floral lull between the earlier bulbs and rhododendrons and the start of the summer show. When the sky falls to the earth in bits of chicory, I know summer is beginning.





















Waves of green will start to be blotted with great splashes of color.





















Fleabane and Ox-Eye Daisy are the first to arrive. Queen Ann's Lace is joining in.





















Gargantuan parsnips strut their stuff before the self sowing sunflowers in the roadside vegetable garden are tall enough to bloom.





















Hundreds of daylilies in every hue will have a mass bloom generally the two weeks around the 4th of July. They linger before and after. The daylilies are one of Bulbarella's obsessions and they have a tendency to self sow and wander off to new places.





















There are wild flowers and flowers turned wild of every kind. As summer progresses more and more of them come in to bloom.





















I have been adding the early blooming Feather Reed Grass for a new kind of texture and summer bloom. Most other grasses are a fall season thing.





















I had another most relaxing day. My big chore was mowing the Great Lawn. It looks so nice freshly mowed.





















The Miscanthus 'Morning Light' down there was waving in a steady wind.





















I sat on my bench down there on the Great Lawn, feeling the cool wind and contemplated my place in this broken and divided world. Love is the only solution. I need to make an effort to be better at that.

I sit quietly, peacefully, surrounded by the beauty and grace of God's creation and I am aware of it. It fills me with awe. I wish that for everyone.





















I live where wild orchids bloom in the summertime and there are days when I wish I never had to leave the mountain. But I can't hide and my garden's mana is no good if it is not shared.


9 comments:

LostRoses said...

Lovely sentiment. And I love the blue flax (?) in the first photo.

Christopher C. NC said...

That is chicory in the first pic LostRoses. I seeded flax once. Nothing happened. I need to try again.

LostRoses said...

Oh yes, reading incomprehension! Chicory is a beautiful blue like flax which is a no-go for me too.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

The chicory is lighting up the roadsides here too. Such a lovely blue hue in the garden. I just love a fresh mown lawn. Such an easy chore that makes everything around it look great.

Lola said...

Love the look of fresh mowed lawns myself. Sure like that blue in the garden.

beverly said...

Well said, Christopher. As I get older I find myself saying "I'm glad I won't live to see (x)". x= whatever the latest bad thing is coming down the pike.

On a mundane note, your idea of the lawn was brilliant; negative space. Like all your other ideas!

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa it is amazing how freshly mowed paths and lawns spruce things right up in the wildness.

Lola the chicory is just getting started and it has been slowly moving into the rest of the garden.

Bev for me it is a bit worse. I think do I want to live to see (X). The Great Lawn made a huge difference in the feel of the garden. I'm glad I thought to do it.

C. C. said...

"...feeling the cool wind..."

So so envious. Send some of that to the Piedmont. And some rain as well. My veggies and flowers are doing poorly - just too dry and hot. Your gardens are stunning.

Christopher C. NC said...

CC I guess I shouldn't whine then that it has been hot and in the upper 80's the last couple days.