Monday, June 15, 2015

The Blooms Of June

I made it safely home to the mountain top for Bloom Day. I had a little problem after I stopped at my favorite local independent garden center and loaded the truck full of perennials for the Inn. On the on ramp to get back on the highway there was a loud clunk, a sickening grind and the end of forward motion. The general thought is that my clutch dropped dead. Dead, dead, dead.

I'm home. It's Bloom Day. I'll think about that tomorrow.





















The Rose Campion has started to bloom. The Ox-Eye daisies are filler in all kinds of places.



























The orange lily will be over soon.





















More of the wild things, like Queen Ann's Lace are coming into flower.





















Daisy filler on a soon to be cacophony of daylilies hill. I consider the daylilies time to be around the 4th of July.





















Uncle Ernie is starting to gather wild flowers in his meadow setting.





















This is the last of the native Flame Azaleas.





















These much bigger green Jacks always come later in the season than the smaller black and brown ones. As far as I know they are the same species, but this forest is full of botanical surprises.



























Poke Milkweed, Asclepias exaltata, grows in the filtered light of the forest.





















Lilies in the ridge top garden.



























This is Pinky Winky hydrangea before the pink.





















The other clump of 'Black Gamecock' Louisiana iris is now in bloom.





















This is the native Hydrangea arborescens, the parent of the famous Annabelle.





















A Tall Flower Meadow is slowly adding more bloom as the wheel tuns to summer. It keeps building until the grand finale of late August into mid September.

For now, plenty more blooms from around the world can be found at May Dreams Gardens, Bloom Day's central station.

Tomorrow. Tomorrow. I'll deal with that tomorrow.


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry about your truck....yike$! Your Jacks are nicely striped. The two I saw in my woodland @ May 31st were solid light green. Might they developed stripes, too? I also saw to stalks of Poke Milkweed opening.....hope the Monarchs find them. Would you share the independent nursery's name? Grassroots is the main one I know of.

Christopher C. NC said...

Grassroots is the nursery I am referring to Dana.

Lea said...

Very pretty!
I have some Rose Campion. It looks forlorn by itself. I see I need to give it some companion plants as you did. A pretty mix.
Have a beautiful day!

Lola said...

So sorry about your truck. Seems as though the 15th was a bad day. Love it all. Sure like that orange wild shrub.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

So exciting seeing the bloooms of June.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lea yarrow works really well with the Rose Campion.

Lola my little truck has 166,000 miles on it. My mechanic friend was amazed it was the original clutch. I have a few of the native flame azaleas going in my part of the garden now.

Lisa it is getting very bloomy around here.