Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Half Melted

Another round of snow is scheduled to begin tomorrow afternoon. Will there be enough warm to melt the first batch before it starts? The bent to the ground Barton's Cypress were just beginning to stand back up. 













Two young sketchy looking giggling hippy dudes came down my driveway this afternoon (it melted) saying some such nonsense about Spectrum, was that who they said, was running a cable as part of the 'infrastructure project' and they needed to map some things and look at my poles. In these parts, that is a potentially fishy story. Cables don't just get run up to nowhere.

They showed me some badges and pointed a smart phone screen in my direction. It was asking a blind man to see in his wrap around old people shades because secondary cataracts and sun on snow are a truly horrible combination. Do you have a card? No. They were just subcontractors with Mountain somebody doing the mapping. In the gig economy everybody is a subcontractor now.

They had bright yellow vests, a long extendable pole and a handheld tracking device with the right app it seems. They were up here for a half hour measuring poles with their stick. There has been entirely too much activity up here of late.














The view from my pole is a good one. I told them mine was the best looking pole they were going to see. They giggled. Maybe more snow will drive everybody away.


1 comment:

beverly said...

I have had the same problem with guys showing up wanting to trim my trees or do something to my electricity claiming they were subcontractors for Baltimore Gas and Electric. I gave them a hard time but eventually let them do it because you are right - everything is outsourced nowadays. Maybe China and our pandemic will change that, maybe not.