Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Obliterated Bloom Day

Five inches of snow, a long stretch of 14 and 9 degrees of low on a 30mph breeze pretty much obliterated the bulk of the daffodil show for the year.














The daffodils were laid low. Bloom was lost to the bitter cold. I can see that now.














At least the ones that were in bloom will hold their color for a while. I can see that now.














It was a cold day for the hellebores.














Just to seal the deal of an Obliterated Bloom Day, some damn varmint ate all the crocus blooms that survived quite happily buried in the snow. I can see that now.














I got my first easy office visit, secondary cataracts, laser fix on the first eyeball done yesterday. The improvement in my vision was immediate and dramatic. The change was shocking. My eyes were bad. The incredible detail I could now see was overwhelming my brain so much I had to shut my eyes off and go to bed. My brain was not used to that anymore. 

The other eyeball now feels like it has a wad of gum stuck in it. Two more weeks of that. It's messing with my head.

The crocus keep on blooming, sending up more flowers to get eaten. I can see that now.














The native Trout Lily, Erythronium americanum, was unfazed. I planted these in three different locations at the same time and this spot has become a quickly expanding large colony. It has been fun to watch.














The garden grows on. There are many bloom days ahead. In two more weeks they should all be in focus again. I expect it will be about that amount of time for the surviving daffodils to start blooming again. There are plenty of backup bulbs in the garden of Bulbarella Stinze next door.


3 comments:

Amy@SmallSunnyGarden said...

Ouch! It takes quite a storm to knock out daffodils that hard. Hopefully the later blooming ones will take back over soon and weather will be a bit kinder!

Barbara H. said...

Hurray for better vision!!!

Christopher C. NC said...

Ouch is right Amy. Bad spring freezes are a regular limiting factor to plant happiness at my location and elevation.

Indeed Barbara. I was a bit shocked by how bad it had gotten without me realizing what was happening. I had to drive right through a police checkpoint in SC before I thought something is wrong.