Friday, March 25, 2022

Poked Again

The tax man comes like a thief in the night. The cage was stomped on, kicked to the side and the Oconee Bell was mowed to the ground. Scroll down to the previous post for a before shot if you have the heart for it.

Oconee Bell must be quite tasty to make the extra effort and to eat the whole thing. Perhaps that has something to do with its rarity in the wild.














Fine. Two can play that game.














I am half sighted now which has been a big improvement. I can almost see all six garden chotchkes. Three more days to restored vision. What else have they eaten?














I have been impressed by the obliterated daffodil's will to bloom. Some remnant flowers are opening from bud a week later on frozen stems. More cold is on the way.














The daffodils were not a total loss. Not here. Not in the land of Bulbarella. The coming cold is normal cold in the mid 20s range. That can still freeze things when all the conditions align. We shall see.














It's good to have backup and the Oconee Bell has been started in other locations. I'm tempted to dig and divide the mowed one, the mother plant, when my vision is restored. In the meantime, I had a jug of left over stinky varmint repellant. Get Off My Lawn!














The survivors looking a little tattered bloom on.














There has been death among the conifers. All three of the recently added Koster's Chamaecyparis have failed to establish. The Barton's Cypress, another Chamaecyparis, are looking rough and two of them are mostly dead. I need my 'Pusch' dwarf spruce. The only real quality plant nursery in town has closed and I am lost and adrift without them.














It's a jungle out there.


No comments: