Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Poked

I got poked in my bad eye by the stiff end of a burning bush at the Inn yesterday morning. I had my weeding glasses on. It stung and ran tears for the rest of the day. Just what I need, a scratched eyeball the week before the second easy office visit laser fix for the secondary cataracts.














I saw drifts of blue scilla and chionodoxa through the tears in my eyes and I realized, all I have to lose is one eyeball and I will be a carbon copy of my maternal grandfather.














The calculating and filling out of the first pencil set of state and federal tax forms was done in the passing storm this morning. It's a lot like counting bulbs, not a very precise operation and I have a college degree. The number of needed forms has been steadily increasing since a paper reduction attempt in 2017. It's best to use a pencil on the first trip into the Byzantine. Ink comes second when you can live with the numbers.














How many anemones do you see?











I keep the Oconee Bell covered in a cage. I am surrounded by herbivores. Many flowers are apparently edible, a tax I am not always willing to pay.














The rain stopped. The sun came out and the wind started to howl. It was a hot 65-degree wind pouring in from the gulf like a tsunami. Some frostbitten unobliterated daffodils are starting to come into bloom. 














Scary windy at times and spitting random sun showers from mostly blue skies. I wandered out for a bit during a calm spell. Out there I saw a rainbow.

Somewhere around the time my maternal grandfather was 98 or so, it was discovered he had not been filing or paying any taxes since he retired some 30 plus years earlier. A settlement was reached. He didn't think he had to. He was retired. He lived very nicely for a poor man.

The house in Florida my grandfather built is now for sale.  The realtor listing has some really nice drone footage of the house and grounds. The link is only good until 4/21. Know anybody who wants a cool house in Florida?


4 comments:

Barbara H. said...

It's lovely! Hope your eye is okay for the corrective procedure!

Christopher C. NC said...

Thanks Barbara. My poked bad eye was back to normal when I woke up in the morning. The Florida house is one of a kind. I'm hoping for a bidding war. That will certainly make my mom feel better about having to sell her family home.

Tracy said...

I love your mother's house. I hope it doesn't get torn down for a McMansion.

beverly said...


Wow them's Florida colors in your family homeI Hope it finds someone to love it and those lovely gardens, with that big sago palm.