Monday, March 2, 2009

Difficult Conditions

Snow continued to fall sideways at a moderate clip on top of the existing six inches for most of the morning. The sun managed to shine brightly through thinning clouds and growing sections of blue sky. An eye straining glare bounced off the white layer of snow making it near impossible to see the LCD display of a camera.



A lot of practice enabled me to frame pretty good pictures without really seeing what I was aiming at and to choose the right settings for the light conditions.



A difficult beauty washed over the mountaintop as I wandered outside.



I looked. There were no tracks of any kind, not even a mouse. The creatures had all taken cover and remained hidden.

The view from my future front porch may change a bit with time and the addition of some evergreens. There could be extra lumps in the snow.



I wait. It melts.



By midweek there should be warm sunny days when window trim can be attached to the cozy cabin and siding can resume or painting of the porch roof's framing can be done.



I wait up high in a difficult beauty.

4 comments:

Phillip Oliver said...

That is a lot of snow. I love that last photo of the snowy branches against the blue sky. It is stunning.

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful, Christopher. Sigh. But I know you are anxious to get moving on the siding and the garden. They are promising warmth later it's true, but the long term is calling for an abrupt cold snap again after the weekend. Boo. Do you ever see evidence of animals under the cozy cabin?
Frances

Christopher C. NC said...

Phillip,that view is a living painting.

Oh Frances, I had not looked that far ahead in the diagnosis. I got to the warm part and stopped. Yes I do believe there is a mouse type critter living in the stone wall beneath the cabin, unless the snake I saw in the front stone wall got it.

Anonymous said...

Now we know what the cozy cabin will look like with all that white stuff around. Is this the most that you've had? Since you've been there!!!
Seems as though it piled up closer to the cozy cabin than up against the bank.
Do you think you may have a chipmunk!!!! I had them at our place up there. They are cute. I named mine Chip & Dale as I only saw 2. I think they burrow beneath the ground.