Thursday, March 5, 2009

Drip Drip

It takes a while for six to seven inches of snow to melt even when it gets into the fifties. Eventually. A surprise crocus was found blooming through the snow today when the Spots and I went for an evening stroll.



Another load of wood chips was fetched this afternoon after all the snow had melted in the vegetable garden.



This morning more siding was attached to the cozy cabin. During the snow storm I had cut and painted the window trim and yesterday despite being surrounded by snow, a warm sun was shining and the window trim was put on. Now I can put on siding until I can't reach any higher and need the scaffolding. How high can I go?



The snowdrops have been lasting for a really long time. By this afternoon they were completely uncovered again and should perk back up in the sun tomorrow.



Another yellow crocus was spotted on the evening stroll.



The more numerous purple and lavender crocus I remember from last year have sent up some foliage, but no signs of flower buds yet in the places I have spotted them.



The warm is getting warmer in between frigid blasts.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great picture, Christopher.
I'm glad you got the window trim on so more boards can join in.
More chips for that soon to be lovely garden. I know it will furnish you with loads of goodies.
Oh, those lovely little yellow flowers are so delicious looking. Hope you find the others.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Aren't crocus the toughest little things. They fly in the face of cold and snow. Snowdrops certainly live up to their name too. They totally disregard the weather and have a merry time all clumped up together.

themanicgardener said...

We've had plenty of dripping going on here in Montana, but it will be a while before we see snowdrops... I envy you yours!
--Kate

Anonymous said...

You are a working madman. I need some of that self-starter liquid, do you sell it? (:

bev

chuck b. said...

You're like one of those flowers, making the most out of every opportunity.

Anonymous said...

I love the surprised a retreating snow reveals. That sky is so blue! You must work 24/7.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola I saw some new crocus in my front bed at my place. I have no recollection of planting them, but then small bulbs have fallen out of the ground at client #1's.

Lisa, coming from the tropics these little bulbs just amaze me with their cold hardiness.

Hi Kate. Montana. Wow! I know that has to be beautiful even if you have to wait a bit longer for spring.

Bev, Chuck, Layanee I must be a bit on the solar powered end of the spectrum.

Anonymous said...

Christopher, I've been wondering!!!!Do you have a tiller to move your treasures around in the soil of the road side bed or do you do it the old fashion way? A shovel?

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola, I do have a tiller which I will use to break the ground in the new triangle addition of the vegetable garden before I cover it with mulch. If the treasures you are referring to is the wood chips, those absolutely should not be tilled into the soil. They need to stay on the surface. I let the worms move things into the soil once they have decomposed.

Anonymous said...

Treasures be the chips. Thanks. I didn't think they should. Worms do wonders don't they?