Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Inside In A Blizzard

The wind has been blowing hard since last night. And it has been snowing. Not very much though. It was 9 whole degrees when I woke up. Then the blizzard warning came.

With that howling wind and sideways snow it was bad enough. Is it supposed to get worse?

It seemed like a fine day to take my semi-annual bath. Without sweat my clues for taking a bath are way messed up. But first I had to deal with the water system. It has never been right since the pipes froze. The pressure fluctuates and the taps can even run dry momentarily. I have not been able to determine the exact problem yet. I did know the pressure tank had shown a pressure as low as 10 psi, so step one was to drain the tank and pump the tank back up to 38 psi. I got to 32 psi and got tired of trying to pump the pressure tank bladder up with a bicycle tire pump. Good enough for a test run.

It was a lovely hot shower and shave even if the pipes ran dry twice while in the shower.

Now that I felt better I was ready to brave the howling winds and sideways snow to go visit the cozy cabin and see how it was handling the blizzard.



It was still warm in there, but had gotten down to 62 from the general 70 it has been maintaining with the two small electric heaters. I would imagine that wind is wicking away a good deal of heat. I am sure the small gas furnace that will be installed with much more BTU capacity will do just fine.

I really wanted to know what it felt like inside there in the middle of a wicked storm. Yes I could hear the wind like the distant roar of a jet plane. It was a very distant sound though. Occasionally one of those higher pitched wind squeals could be heard when the wind wrapped around the cabin just so. Still it was pretty peaceful and quiet inside the cozy cabin.



Even more important was that in that strong blunt force wind the cabin itself was not making a sound. There was no vibration, no creaking, no groaning, no rubbing of wood, no banging or clanking. The cozy cabin was solid as a rock. I was most pleased.

It was so quiet and peaceful in there I started to doze off.



The snow kept intensifying and the wind never stopped. There could be a real blizzard coming after all. It is wicked out there, but it's nothing I haven't seen before.

8 comments:

lisa said...

Y'all just keep stealing my snow...knock it off already! :) No surprise that the cabin is holding up well and cozy before it's even done: we all saw how well you built it!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

It just shows you did a fine job.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa please take your snow back. You can have it.

About the cabin, sometimes you just have to sit there and listen to be sure. I have never done anything like this before, you know. I have to give the building contrator's input high marks for the stability.

Siria said...

You done good! Congrats!!!

I think you were brave to go out in that storm and walk over to the cozy cabin. I really is not far, but it is VERY far in those weather conditions! I can't remember which reader said in a previous post to crank up the tea kettle and watch the show, but I am with her...and I would have stayed put in the RGH. :)

Gail said...

Christopher...The cozy cabin sounds wonderful. The wind was wicket here...but not like you describe. gail

Lola said...

If you almost dozed off in this weather then the Cozy Cabin in very fine. You did a great job.
I think once you get things in {like furniture & such} you won't even hear a slight noise from any wind.
Talked to niece in N.Y. seems they aren't as bad off. They will get more snow.

Pam said...

What a winter! I'm glad to see that the cabin is holding up just fine - that bodes well for future winters.

We've had the winds here too (and rain instead of snow) - and I've had trouble keeping the Airstream consistently warm (and I'm a bit too worried to run both electric space heaters at once due to recent electrical issues). Fortunately today the sun is bright and that really helps - but boy do I long for a hot, humid summer night. When I was in the Airstream in August, the AC made it a retreat from the heat - but there has been something about the cold, a definitely increase in my sense of vulnerability, that has made being in the Airstream emotionally more challenging.

And...humorously (I must laugh, right?) I'm heading off to a friend's house for a hot shower.

Anonymous said...

Well, good to hear you are all sweet and clean now, ready for a snooze in the cozy cabin. We know what you mean about the wind. It sounds here like it has snuck under the garage doors, into the stairwell and coming for us right through the door into the addition. Whoooosh! Your cabin must be tight as a drum and held to the earth firmly. A comforting thought and a big hug for the contractor from me. You do seem in a good frame of mind, between cleanliness and coziness.
Frances