Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Second Coat

It really wasn't supposed to snow today, but it did. It snowed all day, adding another inch to the four that fell yesterday. It is so cold the poor rhododendrons have shriveled up big time. I hardly notice the cold anymore. Now that is scary.



Not that I linger long outside.

It is nice and warm inside the cozy cabin, so much so that I have to remove a few layers while I work. The second coat of primer is well underway.



The ladder that will go up to the loft goes here. The idea of it has been a bit of a conundrum because they do not seem to be a standard issue item even after looking online several times. Then it dawned on me that a ships ladder was exactly the style I was envisioning. Now can I get that in wood on rollers and with hinges so it can be pressed flat to the wall and put in the corner when not in use. Please. Or maybe industrial steel would be eccentrically charming.



Painting should keep me busy for a couple more days while it continues to snow.



Then I will need to break outta here to get some more tongue and groove lumber for the ceiling.



I just hand plowed that thing two days ago. It is deeper than it looks.



And did you know that another winter storm watch is in effect for Sunday/Monday. Some gusty winds will be added in for effect.



Still not gusty enough to knock that split black locust tree to the ground. It appears to be stuck. I may be getting a little cranky at times about the conditions around here. Best to wait a couple more days before I hand plow the driveway again.

9 comments:

chuck b. said...

You sat down to take the last picture? All these pictures seem like they were taken from a different angle. I'm sorry about your bad weather. Considering what you're up against (even not considering it) you don't seem cranky at all. I would be murderous or suicidal, I'm sure.

chuck b. said...

I mean considering what you have to put up with, not what you're up against.

Anonymous said...

Aren't library ladders on rollers? They may not come high enough, however. My brother tried to make one on rollers but something about the angle and the physics of the rollers (plus the expense) put him off. There's always a spiral staircase! (:
Your photos are beautiful even though you must be tiring of the snow. Cheer up, it has been abnormally cold the whole time we've been in Fla.I bet the resident gardeners are even colder north of here.

bev

Christopher C. NC said...

Chuck in that last picture St. Frances is on a hill six feet above me where the cut for the parking area is. I just zoomed in a little. If I was up against something on a regular basis I might not get cranky at all.

Bev I have looked at library ladders. The rollers is a very simple mechanism. There was even one actual loft ladder on that site. They looked kind of flimsy amd I want a beefy ladder. Looked at spiral staircases and that is an option still, but the wall space may be a bit narrow to accommadate one. It needs more research.

The resident gardeners have been fussing about the cold down there mainly because the house my grandfather built back in the day has no insulation. They didn't do that then. This is a clay tile, kind of like cinder block, stucco house, not wood. It takes more fuel to heat that Florida house poorly than this igloo in NC.

Lola said...

Great pics. I would lean toward waiting a couple days to see what it's gonna do. No use having to shovel it twice.
Glad you have enough to keep you busy till later. This winter sure has been a test for you. Hopefully it won't happen again too soon. Like yrs. from now.
It's 36ยบ as I type. Still very uncomfortable as we are not use to this much cold this late in the yr.
Yes, it takes a lot more to heat a cinder block home than wood. Brick is in between. I think they are getting a little smarter now & putting insulation in. The more the better.
Sure wish you had some of this Spice Cake.

Anonymous said...

Hello Clyde,

Yep, the ladder idea is a good one. Neat cabin you have there. Your photos are making me miss winter a bit. I'm sure you don't feel the same way! It is very beautiful though. I saw an old farm house that was re-located here. Built from oval shaped logs with tounge and grove joints. No nails or fasteners required. The mass of the house keeps the walls together.

Les said...

The cabin we rented in Colorado this summer had a loft ladder that was made from two stripped logs that were more or less natural. There were milled wooden planks between them for the steps. It wouldn't be portable and could look too "cabiny", but may be readily available if you are or know a good carpenter.

Siria said...

Hi Christopher! I have to agree with Chuck...you don't seem cranky at all....just taking everything in stride. It sure is beautiful though. Too bad a helicopter can't drop ship those supplies for you. I'm not sure I'd want to tackle that long driveway one more time! I know you said you didn't want to leave the car at the road, but how about leaving it closer to the gate so you didn't have to plow so far? I'm assuming you don't plow the drive down at the cozy cabin which means you have to carry the supplies in anyways. Just a thought.... Hope you have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Christopher, I queried my brother, and it turns out he wanted his ladder to move between 90 degrees (e.g. straight up) and 80 degrees when it was pulled out to climb. He was concerned that without friction between the floor and the wheels, the horizontal forces on the ladder as it rolled out from vertical would pull it out of the wall at the top. Probably irrelevant to your situation.
I agree, you are taking the weather well. It's comforting to know the cabin can withstand what's been thrown at it, maybe more so than the larger house!

bev