Friday, April 15, 2011

Since We Were Already There

Hurry up and wait seemed to be the order of the day. The building inspection department had not called in the release for me to get electric service for the second day in a row. The 24 yards of mulch I ordered delivered for a new client did not arrive because when the truck driver got to the mulch yard they were out of mulch.

It didn't really matter, the day was to be spent at Mission Hospital in Asheville waiting for heart surgery to finish.



After the surgery was done in the exact time predicted with no surprises or complications and two thumbs up and before the first visit was allowed, I took the time not to hurry and not to wait. The Botanical Gardens at Asheville was just a short drive away. There I could walk as slow as I wanted and a wealth of native spring wildflowers were every where I turned. No waiting required.



I have been to the Botanical Gardens at Asheville many times, but I must say spring is without a doubt the best time to go to this garden. It is a purely native plant garden that is heavily forested. In this type of ecosystem the spring flowering of the forest floor is the most abundant.



I was already in Asheville with nothing to do but sit and wait, why not go for a stroll in the fresh air of spring?

The surgeons felt much the same. We're already in there to fix the leaky mitral valve. Let's do this simple atrial fibrillation fix. Oh, the tricuspid valve has a small leak. Let's fix that too.

After it was all over the surgeon said he had the heart of a teenager. Nothing like blowing a little sunshine up your..... to let the family know all went well and things look very good.



A perfect surgical outcome and a slow walk through a beautiful native plant garden, what could make for a more pleasant day? A message from the utility company when I got home, the inspection department called in the release and they will hook up my power on Monday.

I can't wait to turn things on. But it looks like I'll have to for just a few more days.



How could things go wrong on Garden Bloggers Bloom Day on a beautiful spring day in April?



Now I will quit talking and breathe a big sigh of relief. Take all the time you want to enjoy a totally native Bloom Day tour.













































A double petaled dogwood tree. I have never heard of such a thing.









You must realize this has given me too many ideas for the garden to be. Plenty native wildflowers already live there.



I can add so many more.

12 comments:

Les said...

Congratulations of getting your occupancy permit. I know it has been a long time coming, but the wait will make you value it more. I also am glad to hear that everything went well at the hospital. I have spent my fair of time in waiting rooms wishing there was a botanical garden outside, or anything of interest. But it's better to be in the waiting room than the operating room.

Anonymous said...

Christopher; so glad everything went well with the building contractor. Hope his recovery continues smoothly. Speaking of double flowered dogwoods, I saw my very first one at the JC Raulston Arboretum just yesterday! There was a cultivar name, I think, but it's stuck on my camera at the moment. Today I was at the Chapel Hill variety of the NC Bot. Garden, also with many wildflowers. Truly this is a blessed time of year. Let us count them.

bev

Christopher C. NC said...

Les we'll see just how long I manage to clean my new house regular and it won't be easy being a filthy gardener. Yes it's been almost four years. True better to be in the waiting room and I will say all the receptionist type people there were most pleasant and helpful.

Bev if he recovers from this like his knee replacement last year it will be quick. I think most of his real rehab ends up being at home doing chores. This garden was well labeled and there were two of these double petaled dogwoods. I looked and looked and could not find a name tag.

Lola said...

Congrats on the occupancy Christopher. The wait has been worth it.
I'm so glad the building contractor is doing so well. His recovery will be smooth & speedy. It was good that you had a very nice place to look upon the beauty of wildness to ease the worried mind.
I've never heard of double flowered dogwood. I know it must be beautiful.
Yes, there is much that you can add to the garden to be even tho it has many things of beauty already. More is better, right?

Learning in the garden said...

Wonderful to have a botanical garden near the hospital. I did not know the Asheville bg is all native. That's an even better getaway from the uber-tech nothing natural world that is modern medicine (my experience anyway). There was supposed to be a double dogwood in a neighborhood next to Lewis Ginter BG according to my woody plants teacher and he did not have a name for it. Congratulations on your good news. I can't wait to see pictures of your native plant garden.

Carol Michel said...

Very happy to hear that all went well, and thank you for sharing the beauty of the woodland garden. it made me want to jump in the car and start driving south... spring can be so pretty.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

So glad your Dad is all fixed up. He will feel like a new man when he recovers from this fix. The Botanic Garden is full of spring beauties. I can see many things that I bet show up in your garden to be. That pink Dutchman's Breeches is really pretty. I have never seen one of those. I can imagine your excitement about having electric etc. It is time.

John said...

Sounds like a day full of meditation and restoration. Thanks for sharing the photos and events. Gardens are great for reflection. I'll have to add that Botanic Garden to my future visit list...

Wally said...

Beautiful photos. Glad the surgery went well. I had a quick glance at your previous post, your home looks lovely. I must have a more leisurely read when I have time.

Anonymous said...

What is pic # 20 (the yellow flowers)?
Sallysmom

Siria said...

Hi Christopher! I'm so happy to hear your Dad's surgery went exceptionally well! Here's to a quick recuperation.

The Asheville gardens look lovely. I'll have to pay a visit there. I'm so excited for you as the cozy cabin becomes "electrified". You've worked so hard and waited a long time for this! :)

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola the double dogwood looks much the same until you get close and think something isn't right here. I might possibly spend my first night in the cabin by next week. Woo hoo.

Hi Learning. A few post back is a walk through the forest here with all kinds on natives blooming on our mountain.

Carol the cold is here again for us tonight. Shouldn't last long though. Yes post surgery good news was a relief.

Lisa Let There Be light! After the recovery period his newly improved heart should make a big difference in his energy level. Still he's 82. I may need to assist as much as ever.

John this was the Asheville Botanical Garden at its most impressive in all my visits. Lots of good plant choices for our mountain.

Hi Mac visit anytime. Thanks for the good wishes on the surgery.

Sallysmom my best guess on pic 20 is Yellow Stargrass, Hypoxis hirsuta. It wasn't labeled.

Siria the doctors and nurses are all positive with no bad news. It is still a bit scary seeing him hooked up to so many tubes and bottles and still a bit groggy and not wanting to talk. The Asheville Botanical garden is worth a visit, especially now in the spring with all the woodland wildflowers in bloom. On Monday I will have power which makes water. Internet service and if I get lucky a phone. The gas should come next week too.