Saturday, November 6, 2010

Heading Into Winter


























There has been such a flurry of activity inside the cozy cabin I am wondering if I will be able to stretch the final touches through the next five months of winter. There are only minor details left to be attended to in the green room.

I bet I am the only garden blogger who shows you so many pictures of his bathroom.




















Eight of eleven kitchen cabinet boxes were assembled today. At this rate they could be hung by mid week and be ready for all the doors and knobs. What knobs? I still need to choose knobs.

There is still all the trim work to do, baseboards, doors, windows and ceiling. That will take some time. There are a few other items that might catch my attention, say like finishing the exterior paint job. Oh yea, I shouldn't forget all the electrical, lights, outlet plates, ceiling fans and what not. Maybe I will stay busy through the winter.

The service entrance really collects snow. It is on the north west facing side where the snow generally comes from and gets the least amount of sun. This may need to be considered the summer entrance.


























And there are counter tops, back splash and appliances, two of which need to be exhausted through the wall. Never mind. There is still plenty to do through the winter.




















That I could even entertain for a moment the notion that I would run out of chores may be a sign of my relative level of sanity. I still don't multi-task. It's one process at a time. It prevents me from being overwhelmed.


























I may even need a long nap on the new couch while the snow falls every now and again. Winter will be a good time for that.

8 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

The leaves on the snow is an interesting picture. Yes, I feel like I am very intimate with your bathroom. My new best friend. Such a handsome thing though I don't mind. All seems to be coming together. You will want to be finished by early spring so you can start on the garden. So much fun to look forward to.

Randy Emmitt said...

Loved the leaves in the snow photo! So you are putting in cabinets that you have to assemble. I had a local guy build ours out of plywood and he installed them, we saved $1300 over the crappy particleboard cabinet at Lowes and had no cardboard to recycle.

Christopher C. NC said...

The leaves on the snow caught my eye when I was shuffling back to the resident gardeners house after cabinet assembly.

Randy I have crappy particle board cabinets with veneered cardboard backs from Home Depot and enough cardboard for several fine homeless palaces. They have great real wood doors though and the savings was from the discontinuing this line sale.

I will be done by spring. Gardening and more stonework can resume.

thistleandthorn said...

What wonderful photos. Thanks for showing me the first snowfall of the year.

Lola said...

Wonderful pics as usual. I am very drawn to the pic of leaves in the snow. I have no doubt that you will have plenty to do through the winter time. And of course a much needed rest {nap} on the new sofa would be in order.
It all looks very good. I for one will never tire of your green room. It is very lovely. I like green.

Siria said...

Hi Christopher! Well, for the first snowfall, it was a mighty big one, and it has lasted on the ground a bit too. I too love that photo of the leaves in the snow. I believe you will have plenty to keep you occupied through the coming winter, but if you happen to get finished early, you could take a much needed trip to warmer weather. :) ... little things to look forward to.

Anonymous said...

It might be time to change that blog header. Maybe something with snow and leaves?
Sallysmom

Anonymous said...

The header is very pretty!
Sallysmom