Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Reforestation

The weathers have been cold and wet and very, very windy - totally miserable. It may even be time for long underwear. It is perfect weathers for planting new baby trees however and that is what I did this morning before making the first steps at trim work inside the cabin.

This is one of two Redbud trees that fell out of the ground at work yesterday. I tagged all the new trees just to be on the safe side for the logging cleanup work that still needs doing. And so I wouldn't forget where they were.


























Two small Dogwoods were also dug up from the ridge top garden and moved to new homes.


























My new Bosnian Pine, Pinus leucodermis, is looking perky. I went to get another. I want to avoid the one of this and one of that kind of garden and they were all gone. I'll have to wait until spring when they get more in. Boo and hiss.


























I am reforesting the garden to be with the intent of some evergreen screening from the scenic byway. Winter interest will be an added bonus of that. The Dogwoods and Redbuds will add an understory canopy to the taller trees and bloom in the spring, something that had been lackluster before with the short lived apples and nasty, thorny Hawthorn in this section of forest.




















Like I need more trees. But this is the forest and it will be a forest garden. DW is where the Dogwoods are. RB is where the Redbuds were planted. P is for pine. I need one more at this end and at least two more in the overall garden space. BB is for bamboo and three pots of a clumping type, Fargesia rufa, were planted at the base of the slope below the byway earlier this year. There are also three rhododendrons in there and perhaps a few other things as well. There's still room for more.




















Right where that big pile of brush is that needs to get burned is where I am thinking of a grouping of the Lacebark Pine and I'm just going to have to see if Ilex opaca, American Holly, will survive up here. To the right just out of the picture is where the Curly Willow will go. There will be room for more all around this evergreen grouping. I want evergreen screening, I just don't want a hedge. I'm going for strategic placement coupled with patience and the thought that my hardy peasant stock will increase the chances that I live to see this screen grow in.




















That's how a garden grows in mid November high on the low spot of a North Carolina mountain top.




















Excuse the raindrops in The View. The wind was howling and I took the picture from inside. But it didn't snow and the grounds not froze. I may get more planted before the year is done. Now let's see, there was that Viburnum and a Deutzia. I bet I could find more rooted rhododendron stems and ......

3 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

What fun to have all that new open space to plant. I really like that Bosnian Pine. It will be striking during winter with snow around it. I think you will be amazed how fast trees grow once they are established. You will be looking back wondering how long ago you planted those tall trees and it will be a short time.

Wondering Woman said...

I've tried several times to move small dogwoods from my woods to my yard and it's never worked. Tried going straight into new location and also potting up first. Very frustrating and I finally gave up because I'd rather have them where they are then not have them at all. Do you do anything special with them?

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa I hope so. The pine is rated as slow growing and only 40 feet at maturity. I deliberately choose these hoping the canopy will top out at the right road level height for screening.

Wondering Woman I don't do anything special. Just make sure they have a good rootball and even when dormant water them if it doesn't rain. I won't know if they live until spring, but I have over 90% success transplanting small shrubs. The Silverbell I transplanted this summer did die back almost completely, but it sprouted at the base. I can let that grow then remove the dead part of the baby tree.