Friday, November 12, 2010

Less Before More

The pictures may not convey the dramatic transformation that is occurring in the garden to be that the naked eye readily sees. It is shocking and and a bit destructive to have so many trees removed. Scroll down to the previous post, Free Firewood for a comparison of what has come out so far.




















There are another three large Black Locust still to be removed. Two of them are pretty much dead. Locust is such hard wood they could remain standing for decades. Their canopies are sparse, but there is still a lot of shade casting lumber up there and every lit bit of sunshine matters.

I'm itching to start a fire and start cleaning up the debris. I have this new park like setting to stroll and gaze upon through the winter and time yet to contemplate the garden to be. I contemplate better in tidiness.




















The center section has opened up completely. This area, mostly in the foreground - I can't plant trees on top of my drain field - will also be used as part of the evergreen screening. I wouldn't mind having a nice specimen of Lacebark Pine, Pinus bungeana. I should check out some holly trees as well, though I think they might be marginal at this elevation.

The Curly Willow will be planted to the right of the garden access road on the opposite side of the dry drainage that stays moist year round. I saw a beautiful specimen of that on the last West Asheville Garden Stroll. It was like a miniature Weeping Willow, but with the curly branches.




















I won't be able to resist cleaning up the new debris and getting rid of the brush piles already made in the initial clearing of some of the smaller stuff. Cabin construction can wait for rainy and snowy days that are sure to come.

8 comments:

Lola said...

Oh boy, it sure is open now. But it does give you lots of garden possibilities. Love that Lace bark. The trunk would be most interesting when older.
By all means I would take advantage of the nice weather while available. There will be plenty of days to spend in the Cozy Cabin.
Go for it.

Anonymous said...

Where is the garden in relation to the first pic?
Sallysmom

Christopher C. NC said...

Sallysmom every thing you see in those pictures and plenty more will become the garden.

Cheryl K. said...

It's going to be interesting to watch this part of your landscaping take shape. We too have a drain field we need to keep trees from growing on. The first plan was a wildflower meadow. It didn't work at all this year. My fire-fighter partner here would mention "Be sure to get a burn permit before you set that pile of brush ablaze."

Anonymous said...

My apologies; I took a job so can't read every day now, but I love your tree choices mentioned in the last post, and I have to laugh imagining you prowling that cleared area this winter, impatiently waiting for spring to plant them! Those stupid black locusts will try to sprout all over the place,but you can keep them in check. Looking forward to the spring photos with new choices in place!

bev

Anonymous said...

Oops! I was referring to the summer vegetable garden.
Sallysmom

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Oh boy. You have a new playground. It will be fun watching the new garden take shape.

Christopher C. NC said...

Thanks for the reminder Cheryl about a burn permit. I looked it up and the wording seemed vague if it would apply to me; residential garden debris on less than five acres or land clearing within 500 feet of a protected forest? The guy helping my neighbor drop the trees is a generational local from Lake Lure who lives across the street from the FD and said he would get a permit, kerosene and clean it all up. This guy is most interesting and and seems to be a stickler for doing good work.

Bev I hope you are happy about your new job. Yes I will have to watch for all the Black Locust root sprouts in addition to the stumps themselves unless the Lake Lure guy plans to burn the stumps.

Sallysmom I thought that was an odd question. At the top left of the first picture, right beside the last group of trees is my driveway. It comes down the slope and connects to the lower road you see in the picture.The roadside vegetable garden starts on the other side of the driveway up there at the top.

Lisa I will have to cool my jets a bit til spring and be content with getting it all cleaned up and ready for spring.