Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A Light Rime

I stopped at the top of the drive on the way to work for some pictures of the light rime that attached in the night.



























It was an icy morning. The Feather Reed Grass in particular seemed to catch the rime the best. This may be the last frost on the grass. If I can get to it, all the remaining grasses will get cut down this weekend.



























Something jumped in my truck when I bumped it with a shovel and followed me home. It's a Japanese Maple seedling of unknown parentage. It has Acer palmatum in it for sure, but it could be of mixed cultivars or even a hybrid species because of all the Japanese maples in Client #1's garden. It was growing inside a large chamaecyparis and didn't need to be there.



























Now it will help frame the Great Lawn in the garden becoming.



























I can already tell my garden will need to expand long before I thought it would. It is filling up fast. Good thing I have the land and plans for that. So many plants keep following me home.

4 comments:

Lola said...

Here's hoping it will be the last even tho it looks great.

Christopher C. NC said...

Oh it ain't the last Lola. There is always a spit of winter into April and sometimes May.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

What a nice find. I hope it grows. Is it one of the big ones?

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa the closest potential parents are large 25 foot tall JMs. I weed seedlings from under them on an annual basis. I have this vague recollection of seeing red maple leaves sticking out of this chamaecyparis in the past. The bark is bright lime green at the moment.