Friday, March 7, 2014

There was Winter In The Mix

I fell asleep to rain and woke to winter once again. It was a snow still falling winter morning.





















But it was already thirty four degrees and the melt was on while the snow kept falling.





















Spring is being kept in check. That is fine. Slow cool springs tend to be the best with no surprises.





















This is bulb weather, exactly what they are made for. The skies will clear. The sun will shine. The crocus will open for business when conditions are just right.





















By noon the snow was pretty much gone and I began a whole list of odd and ends chores that started with planting my two new birthday Witch Hazels. There is going to be quite the show in years to come when all five grown Witch Hazels bloom at once.

I finally stopped thinking about it and stapled some quarter inch wire fencing to an old window frame for screening my aged dung. It has been coming with a lot of three quarter inch gravel from the gravel filled corral off the horse stalls. I'd rather have all that gravel on my driveway than in my flower beds. Screening the dung became a necessity.



























Look at that luscious dung. My plants are going to be so happy.


5 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Lucky you having a dung pile. Your plants are going to be thrilled.

Dianne said...

I am so glad the snow missed us! Now, to be as industrious as you and get my dung pile moving...probably to the veggie garden. I have big plans this year. Don't I always.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa the dung piles are a nice perk from the Posh Estate. It is amazing to see them shrink by half as they age.

Dianne I put dung from the first pile in the vegie garden and around a lot of the baby shrubberies back in November. After a couple rains and snow the gravel in it became to noticeable. I had to screen it. I also wanted it to sit out in the cold all winter and kill off any potential weed seeds. So far so good. Not seeing any weeds yet.

Lola said...

I was hoping the snow would miss you but it is doing its job. I guess that is what my planting area needs but will have to buy it. sob.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola there is snow in the diagnosis already for next Thursday. It ain't over. My dung might be free, but I have to do all the work that gets it into a bag for you to buy. There are trade offs.