Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Prettiest Ditch In Haywood County

Over the coarse of two days I placed two full pallets, about seven tons of stone neatly into a roadside ditch. I was not privy to the decision that chose this portion of the solution to a significant drainage problem that involved rain runoff, a spring coming down the mountain, culverts and pipes crossing under roads and a blocked storm drain that was causing major erosion behind a dry stack boulder wall.

I just neatly placed seven tons of stone in a roadside ditch.



























And I cried a little inside. This beautiful flat stone would make a perfect floor for a certain basement patio and it was being used to line a ditch.





















It's the most beautiful ditch in all of Haywood County North Carolina. I didn't want to ask how much two full pallets of this two inch thick, flat, stone cost. I should. By my estimation this is just about the square footage needed for a certain basement patio, now in a ditch.

Gorgeous.



























I can make do with more ephemeral forms of beauty.





















More variety of crocus are appearing everyday. We had a heatwave today with a high of 72. By Thursday morning the low will be below 20. I hope the crocus get a bit of snow cover before we go that low. It will help prevent freezer burn.



















So a storms a commin' and then it's back to winter. I hope it gives the prettiest ditch in Haywood County a good rinse. Those heavy flat stones will really shine after a nice power washing.





















I have crocus.

4 comments:

Lola said...

Beautiful ditch but I think it would look better on the patio floor. Why was the stone used?

Christopher C. NC said...

I'm not sure, but my best guess is to prevent the ditch from eroding deeper washing dirt into the underground drain pipe and to be able to kept it clean of all the leaf litter and branches that fall in there also washing into the drain line.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Great job on the ditch. I bet you were about to weep over such lovely stones.

Rebecca said...

Hope to see that ditch in person one of these days.

Believe me, the sight beats what is outside our windows here today!