Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Time To Plant The Roadside Vegetable Garden

As soon as the snow melts.





















I'm planning for Sunday. All it needs is a little tidying up and it will be ready for the first sowing of the peas and greens.

The rows were all heavily dunged late last fall. I wanted to add a fresh layer of wood chips, but my tree trimmer's wood chip dumping site has been cordoned off. I'm so bummed. I think I can make it through one more season with the layer of mulch I have. It just looks so nice with a fresh layer.





















A true harbinger of spring, the Ramps, Allium triccocum, have appeared. It's a sign that it is time to plant the vegetable garden's first crops. These native wild onions are the traditional first greens of the season. We can eat us a mess of ramps while we wait for the roadside vegetable garden to get going.


4 comments:

Danna said...

Looks like you're back in business in a day or two. Old mother nature tried to thwart your progress, but you will prevail! I have some flower questions to ask you at a future date...when things start leafing out growing again. Forge ahead my friend!

Christopher C. NC said...

I usually aim for St. Patrick's day for the first sowing of the greens. This year it seemed wise to wait a bit longer.

Lola said...

Past time to plant here. It's been so cold. Friday is a good day to transplant here.
Love those ramps.

Danna said...

Enjoyed your link to "cultivating ramps: wild leeks of Appalachia"
Very informative info. Thx.