Friday, March 28, 2014

Strange Bulbs

There are strange bulbs coming up in places I have no recollection of planting them. I'm not even sure what they are. The bulbs I remember planting and where I planted them, Winter Aconite, I have seen no sign of. They were supposed to bloom with or before the crocus.

I have found these new strange bulbs in two or three places. One place was the cat's favorite facilities. What are those? Well they are about to get dug up so I raked the area smooth and covered them back up. I'm not sure if they are the same as the other strange bulbs.

My best guess is they are alliums from Bulbarella's over flow. I do remember planting a whole lot of liatris corms in this same area and in the cat latrine. These strange bulbs aren't liatris.





















Forgetting where I plant things can be a problem at this time of year when things are barely awake and something like a new pink mum with a white center falls out of the ground and follows me home. Divisions like this need to be planted right away. I have to be careful and hope I don't plant the new thing on top of an already planted thing.





















My garden's character is sealed. A jumbled floral meadowy abundance is unstoppable. In less than three years of active no budget planting, space is already becoming limited. Soon it will be time to expand.





















The native Celandine Poppies that followed me home on Monday joined the one or more I planted last year.





















I don't remember how many I planted last time or where. So far I have found one from the last batch. Not that it matters. Once they start blooming they will start self sowing. At a some point they may become a weed.

I do know I planted more than a dozen trilliums in the general vicinity of where the poppies went. Did I plant a poppy on top of a trillium? Will it matter when the idea is a naturalized forest understory? I need more Bloodroot in there.





















How does a garden this big get filled up so fast? I know I have a sickness, but it is half nature's doing. I wandered into the Lush and started planting and editing. There was never a blank slate. I've had to elbow my way in.





















I need more astilbe and Goat's Beard. I can find room on the west side. The trilliums need to multiply. Maybe I'll dig some more. I need to remember to inoculate the garden with the phacelia this year.

Organized? Civilized? I best give up such notions. The barren time of winter after the chop and drop, when the bare bones are fully exposed for all to see is the only civilized time this garden will ever have.

5 comments:

Lola said...

Strange bulbs indeed. We just love them popping up.

Christopher C. NC said...

Hope you had a great birthday Lola. Every year there are some bulb surprises.

Sallysmom said...

Some of my alliums have that little purple tip on them. It looks like maybe yours do.

Christopher C. NC said...

Sallysmom I pinched the tip off a leaf, crushed it and got a faint onion smell. I maybe sort of recall planting some alliums Bulbarella gave me.

Lola said...

Thank you Christopher. A great one indeed.