Wednesday, March 12, 2014

A Sudden Turn

When the wind started howling I knew I better get out there quick before it was too late. Winter was returning with a sudden vengeance. The crocus will hopefully get buried in a protective layer of snow. I may not be seeing them for another 48 hours.





















The temperature went into free fall. It plummeted from 62 to 32 in three and a half hours. It is the hellebores that I worry about the most. The blooms are susceptible to freezing. I have seen them turn to mush almost every spring. The plants grow on and get larger every year. They have even managed to set seed and spread. The bloom is just often compromised by high elevation late winter blasts.





















I had to get  a picture while I could.





















The garden wakes in spells of warm. It is the tiny things one must search for in the vast expanse of the still barren that promise spring is coming.





















Then it stops and turns back. Winter is once more.


4 comments:

beverly said...

Hah, here in MD my hellebores haven't even opened up yet! They are smart hellebores. Spring has got to come, eventually.......

Christopher C. NC said...

I wish our hellebores were smarter. The get zapped a lot.

Lola said...

OMG,I do believe I know what you mean. Remember it well. So sorry about the blooming flowers. They do seem to take it in stride tho.
Stay warm.

Christopher C. NC said...

OMG is right Lola. A rather dramatic a sudden change.