Friday, April 11, 2014

Flowers Before Bedtime

I have been back to full time work for weeks now. In that short time I am already over booked. I need to start working on Saturdays except I already do. Here. And Sunday too.

Some nights after I come back from supper I just crash.

The daffodils are reaching a crescendo of maximum bloom. The earliest to open have started to fade. Now is the time when you have the most of early, mid and late bloomers open at once. The weathers is going to be perfect for any visitors who may show up this weekend.



















We have more blooming than just daffodils. Creeping Phlox has been seeding itself in the center strip of my gravel driveway. I'll let it be and weed around if that seems needed. One day I might have an entire driveway with a center strip of phlox. That will be a hoot when it is in bloom.





















Iris bucharica can be found in the sunny utility meadow.



























More varieties of daffodil open every day. One chore for this weekend is to double flag clumps of daffodils that I like and want dug. This is how I place a bulb order.



















Bulbarella surveys her domain at the peak of the season.


4 comments:

Lola said...

As I said before, there is so much beauty there. I sure miss it. Tho its different than here.

Danna said...

I have a question: Do you think that a really severe, cold, long winter is a precursor of an earlier, extra lush spring blooming season? Three years ago, my rhodies, Mt. Laurel and such were absolutely breathtaking...then the next two springs quite sparse. I can't wait to see how they look when I'm up the first week in May.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola NC is better than Florida.

Danna mountain laurels and rhodos tend to have alternate year blooms between full and thin. This is very distinct in the native rhododendron. Also they set flower buds at the end of summer for next springs bloom. That seasons conditions can affect bud set.
The severity of winter is not as critical to bloom as the consistency. It needs to get cold and stay cold enough to keep plants dormant. If there are warm spells in winter or early spring that cause plants to break dormancy to soon, they can be damaged by late severe freezes.

Lola said...

I totally agree, NC is better than Fl.