Sunday, April 20, 2014

Out There

The last of the daffodils bloom on.





















A nice sunny day was spent tending to water systems indoors and out. I made it through the whole winter with no problems only to have a water line to a spigot on the deck next door freeze and break during the last mush making cold spell. So close. I had turned all the outside lines back on to check and be sure they were good to go and forgot to turn them off when that winter blast arrived. It could have been worse. Only one line broke.





















I also spent a good half of my day editing. My sole target was Clematis virginiana. I think I like attacking it at this time of year better. The Lush is not in full swing and it is easier to find the roots. Less stompage of the tall flower meadow happens this way. And at this time of year any damage I do will be easier for the meadow to grow out of.

The very first trillium blooms.



























A Fritillaria meleagris with Miss Dinah.



























'Thalia' is one of the very last daffodils to bloom. When I plant bulbs in other gardens I like to use 'Thalia' as a season extender.






















In the vast expanse of a still barren forest, every shiny bauble matters.


8 comments:

Carol McKenzie said...

Do you have poison ivy? I don't have the clematis issue, but I do have Japanese honeysuckle and poison ivy. Biggest problem at the moment is the poison ivy hadn't leafed out when I started working to expand some of the flower beds, so I'm currently in the midst of a really itchy spell.

Christopher C. NC said...

Yes Carol we do have Poison Ivy. My mom has been spraying it on sight for decades so there isn't a lot left. Birds spread the seed though so it can always come back. I'm lucky in that I have no reaction to it. Still I am most careful with it.

Carol McKenzie said...

Count yourself lucky. I've only been here since Nov. 2012, and last year I discovered the poison ivy was rampant...including some beds by the house. I sprayed the largest vines climbing most of the trees, pulled up a great deal, but missed many areas...and obviously one in the place I choose to start working this spring.

Barry said...

"editing" - I like da label! My nemesis is the ubiquitous blackberry vines, which are rampant invaders, with up to inch-diameter canes heavily covered with nasty sharp-spined armor. I edit a bit at a time, mostly because I resent bleeding. Damned fruit draws black bears like flies, and I haven't learned the art of preserving. But I'm grateful that it ain't poison ivy!

Lola said...

I had that poison ivy problem. I was not allergic to it either. But was careful. Pulled is down from trees as it was almost as big as my arm. Knew not to burn it either.

Unknown said...

Poison ivy became more rampant in my yard after hurricane Fran. As far as wild blackberries, I am lucky to get even a handful from the woods because the deer beat me to it and seem oblivious to thorns!

Lola said...

Don't know where they came from but have Dewberries in the back corner garden. Some are getting ripe now.

Christopher C. NC said...

I have blackberries a plenty too. They are something else I grab at the base and pull out by the root. I am not willing to be stabbed while I garden if I can avoid it.