Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Lost And Found

The Bird's Foot Violet, Viola pedata, is much happier since I moved it to a new location last year. It languished the first year. I was lucky I remembered where I planted it. It is a miniscule plant. I looked it up online to learn more about it to try and avoid a slow demise. Who knew a violet wanted a full sun location and dry, even gravelly soil.

Now it has full sun and well drained soil. It's blooming its tiny little head off. Now it needs to colonize.





















I went into the deep forest last year and dug up trilliums to move into the garden becoming because I felt there was a trillium deficit. There wasn't. Where did all these trilliums come from? I searched high and low for more red trilliums after finding only two in the forest. They were hiding in the garden becoming all along. This might be Trillium vaseyi.

And I don't remember seeing this particular grouping last year.





















I remember these Nodding Trillium, Trillium cernuum across the path. Not quite this many though.





















I kept looking and looking for my Arailia cordata 'Sun King' to come up. Did it survive its first winter? I knew where I planted it. I tend to remember where I put plants I pay money for. Gifts, findlings and strays that follow me home are more apt to be the ones that get lost out there.

I kept looking and looking and because I was about eighteen inches off from where it actually was it took me an extra week to find it.

I think I know where I planted the Painted Trillium and I keep looking and looking. I may be eighteen inches off and not be able to find it until the flower opens.





















You can't miss these bright red tulips. Bulbarella was surprised when she saw them though. It's hard to remember where you plant all those bulbs.





















Could this be the year the pink azalea doesn't get zapped by a frost? The bloom on this has been lost more than once.



























It is usually the first of the deciduous azaleas to bloom and is most lovely in a still barren forest.





















I may have ID'd this patch of violets by the old chimney as a different species at one point. It is most similar to Viola canadensis, but it has a distinctly creamy yellow hue quite different from the white violets down by the giant rock. It's a nice patch of violets no matter who it is.





















The world is turning green and I go out hunting amongst the baby Lush for plants I remember, sort of, and every thing new that nature is offering up for the year.


5 comments:

beverly said...

Your last sentence is the most fun part of spring!

Sallysmom said...

Wow, I love those violets.

Heaven Scent said...

Beautiful! Spring has definitely sprung!!!

Siria

Lola said...

That is why the violets grew in my drive way so readily. A lot of them. There is so much beauty I can hardly put it to words. Nature always sends us new things to enjoy. Not to mention the other things we have seen before.

Swimray said...

I know what you mean. I forgot I planted tiny mouse ears hosta and only remembered today when I saw it coming up through the mulch.
Ray