Friday, April 18, 2014

Trilliums In The Mist

My botanical garden plant sale trilliums started coming up about two weeks ago. I was most pleased that they survived the recent freeze intact.



























The botanical garden plant sale trilliums are all different species than the ones that grow wild here. No sense in buying what we already have. It would make more sense to pot some of them up and sell them.



























There are thousands and thousands of trilliums growing wild here. I think I settled on there being four different species. Or was it five? Only now have I begun to see the first of the wild trilliums begin to emerge. I'm still waiting to find the Painted Trillium that was gifted and all the large Trillium grandiflorum that I relocated into the garden becoming last year. At least they waited until after the freeze.



























It was a cool gray day and the misty rain began when I got home. I'm all in favor of cool until the middle of May. Cool makes blooms last longer and prevents fast excessive heat induced growth that is susceptible to freezing should such a vile thing happen again and it most certainly can happen again before it's all over.

Maybe my yellow trillium will be yellow this year instead of chartreuse. It was labeled yellow. I wanted yellow. I guess I could just buy another one. I do need to buy some of the big red ones if I can find any.





















The daffodils survived the deep freeze mostly intact. They did not freeze or have any frost damage, but some mangling was involved between the rain, ice, sleet and wind. It pushed the peak bloom over the edge into floppage with a lot of bent stems and crispy flowers. The late blooming daffodils that had not fully opened are finishing off the season.





















The middle of April is the end of the daffodil season. By the first of May it will all be done.





















I have plans. When the daffodils and trilliums out there in the vast expanse bloom in their turn, their numbers should be so massive that it will show up in a photograph. The naked eye can spot them out there now. The camera has more trouble.





















That just means I need to plant more and edit around them as they multiply.

No comments: