Thursday, April 17, 2014

Spring At Client # 1's






















I have not planted any tulips in this garden for three or four years after the great varmint feasting swept through one winter and ate hundreds of them along with all the lily bulbs and a few hosta. That spring's bulb show was cancelled. It was mostly daffodils planted from then on.

These purple tulips were spared. After all these years it is beginning to dawn on me that they have bloomed faithfully every year and the patches of them are growing thicker. I have a vague memory of ordering and planting these purple tulips. I just have no idea who they are.

This is the kind of tulip to have, one that multiplies and returns to bloom year after year. Now who is it?





















It is the same purple tulip appearing in robust groupings in a manner consistent with my planting schemes. Now who is it?





















They may even be returning from a bulb the varmints missed among the late blooming daffodil 'Thalia'. It might be worth an investigation and suggested bulb purchase for Bulbarella. Or I could just dig a few and test them out in another garden.





















No one is opposed to having tulips among the daffodils in the wild cultivated gardens. It's that most attempts have been unsuccessful because of weak return of the tulip bulbs and heavy predation by the varmints. A vigorous and fast multiplying tulip surrounded by poisonous daffodils just might work.


5 comments:

Danna said...

Wow! When you find out the name of the purple tulips that varmints ignore.....let us blog followers know. We could all use something that resilient and prolific!

Sunshine said...

Let my yard be the test garden...pretty please. Those are gorgeous:-) deb

Christopher C. NC said...

Danna I do know what catalog they were ordered from so that's a start.

Deb I suppose my shovel could slip over another few inches for a few extra bulbs. That won't happen until I get distracted by the foliage dying down in another month or so.

Lola said...

Fantastic color for the garden. And the varmints won't bother it.

56steps said...

Reading back through some older posts and found this one. I can't have tulips either because of rabbits, etc. I don't know why I even bothered planting any last fall. They came up beautifully and were pretty much left alone which was shocking. Maybe a munch here and there but in general they were ok.
Just a couple of bags of bulbs from the store. I don't remember their name either.
But they were purple
Lol
Maybe it's a color thing!!

Debra