Thursday, May 21, 2015

Another Cracked Pot

I went to my favorite local independent garden center today and came home with another cracked pot for the garden. I have first dibs on cracked pots there.





















I already knew where I wanted to put it. When the second cracked pot was placed in the garden the need for and siting of a third one shouted out right away. I told my cracked pot dealer I wanted another big one when it broke.

The first picture is truer to color.





















The right side of the Lush in the foreground has had all the New England Aster yanked. The left side is still to be done. I have been snatching and grabbing the aster ever since our visitors left on Sunday and have made it through most of the garden. This is the last and worst section that needs editing.

I'm not sure I was completely ruthless with the aster last year. I may have let this section go. It shows by how much is in there. This year there will be no mercy. There are better asters milling about to fill in the empty space.





















It is my garden. I do have some say in what gets to bloom here.





















I just don't have much say in how well things bloom. The Yellow Flag Iris has enough bloom stalks that it may put on a bit of a show yet. That would come out to a heavy bloom in one out of every four years. Everything has to go just right for that to happen.

The weathers however prefer to remain decidedly fickle messing with many plants abilities to bloom. It's that one year out of four that keeps a gardeners dreams alive.


2 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I know that feeling about my Nikko Blue hydrangeas. They have to have near perfect conditions to give those big blue blooms. I am always hopeful.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa ll those macrophylla hydrangeas are barely hardy up here. Most years they freeze to the ground. No blooms for you.