Monday, May 18, 2015

Hiding In Plain Sight

There is something about the roadside vegetable garden. Every time I have been up there working this year one or more cars have stopped to compliment the garden or one of my roadside attractions. My wildflower surround is not quite tall enough to hide me while I am up there yet. I keep thinking I need me some bib overalls, no shirt, to enhance the scenery even more. Don't I wish.

Perhaps almost eight years of effort are really starting to show. The passersby can't contain it anymore and have to stop and comment.





















I planted the tomatoes and peppers and seeded parsnips before the company came on Sunday. The potatoes were planted almost two months ago. Lettuce and what not was seeded a month ago. Germination on that was rather poor. I should do another sowing.

Did I or did I not sow carrots? I thought I did, but I'm not seeing any.

The cucumbers and squashes are seeded in four inch pots in trays. I have better luck with that than direct sowing.





















That big tall thing in the garden is a clump of unharvested parsnips getting ready to bloom. I leave them for my amusement and the pondering of the passersby.

The strawberry beds crapped out over the winter. They need to be redone. I have two and a half empty rows left and I'm not sure that will be enough for all I have yet to plant. I'll just have to stuff it all in some how.

In another month I'll be able to hide in the roadside vegetable garden.





















A pretty little allium Bulbarella gave me last fall is blooming. I like it. I sure hope it is a repeat bloomer and multiplier.





















Lorelei is ready for her closeup. I didn't plant this one. It just showed up. I haven't seen any signs that this iris sets seed and self sows. It is more likely a small piece of it was accidentally moved or dropped during a harvesting operation.





















I have waited four years. The Kousa Dogwood is finally going to have a decent bloom.





















I have never noticed the tall pedicels the flowers are on before.




















Already rising high above my head, the franken asparagus might be missed in the burgeoning Lush. This odd herbaceous vine is Smilax herbacea, the Carrion Flower, so called for its odorous fly pollinated flowers. Funny, I have never smelled it and I walk right by it on a regular basis. I'll give it a sniff this year.



























There is evidence of my editing binge. I need to do it a couple more times before things progress much further, but was just too tired for another round today.





















Is there any ancient archeological site of former human habitation where broken crockery has not been found? I don't want to disappoint anyone a thousand years from now. I decided the ancient looking dry stack stone walls that form my basement patio needed some broken crockery. They go together.





















They are out there, eccentricities plainly visible in the garden. Quite a few are visible from the scenic byway. But you have to look to see them. Apparently many people do. More of them have been stopping to leave a comment.


4 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

The garden is looking lush. So many surprises there too. Fun.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa there are all kinds of trinkets and objets de out in the garden hiding in the Lush.

Rebecca said...

I'm all about "trinkets and objets de". I'd be stopping and commenting, too!

Lola said...

Me too.