Saturday, May 23, 2015

Organizing Curves

I did the rough reset of the pathways in the fountain garden today. The first layout was horribly askew. It annoyed me. Halfway done and it is already looking better.





















The initial layout was done in an empty expanse of mulch by eye. Several trenches got dug through it. Then there was a rush for an event. Once I laid out the edging stones and paver base the day was done. I didn't come back until after the event. No one said a thing to me about it and it was like this for days before I came back and looked. It was screaming at me. The error was glaring.





















Getting there, but not quite. I thought I was done. Not.





















One more tweak. This will do. It is an odd shaped space I am working in. Perfectly symmetrical wasn't in the plans.

Only problem now is the gladiola are not in the center of the bed anymore. Should I move them?





















The first hurried layout. Horrid.





















Almost. That is a pretty huge improvement though. It's still a wee bit off.





















Much mo betta. Now I can sleep tonight. Next weekend the flagstone gravel path will be laid.





















Looking from this angle it is much harder to see askew. Maybe that is why no one said anything. But it is looking much better now even from this angle.





















The fountain garden is coming along.





















About the closest I get to organized at home are the straight rows in the roadside vegetable garden. It is coming along nicely too. I do need to stop and cut some bamboo for my pole beans.





















I'm liking these pink alliums at the top of the driveway. Please be reliable, multiplying, repeat bloomers. You never know until next year if they are mail order annuals.





















Who needs a fountain? I have fine garden accoutrements.





















I went for a closer look at what I thought was Actaea pachypoda.



























It isn't. The foliage is wrong for that. It has Thalictrum foliage. This must be what it is, Trautvetteria caroliniensis, Tassel Rue or False Bugbane. Bugbane is the Actaea I thought it was.

Nope. That's not it either. I just looked the Trautvetteria up online and the leaves are not tright for that either.

It is something related to a Thalictrum. I'll give it that. Whatever it is I want more of it. I need to watch for seeds.





















 It's all out there in the wild cultivated gardens with Lorelei.


6 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I think you've got it. Much better from all angles.

Sallysmom said...

What else do you have in that bed with gladiola? After mine blooms, it just lays down on the ground. Well actually, it often lays down while it is blooming.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa I certainly feel better about it now.

Sallysmom right now there is nothing else with the gladiola. Between construction worker dudes and every thing else I have had to tend to, the planting of perennials is yet to come. I did plant all the things the Lady of the House grew in her greenhouse. Now I know better where I need fill.

Carol McKenzie said...

Thalictrum aquilegiifolium? Columbine meadow rue? I had something a long time ago that looked like your pant.

Carol McKenzie said...

That would be plant, not pant...not enough coffee.

Christopher C. NC said...

Carol I do believe you are correct. It isn't native which is why I couldn't find it in my books. It is also dioecious and that one is a male, so no seeds will be showing up. That means certain gardeners planted it long ago and forgot about it. It is near some ligularia and primrose I know they planted.